MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

SS Ring What do you think?

Article about: Here's one I got a shot at Best I can do with the photos Always appreciate your opinions guys!!!

Hi William, I am no expert on this ring area, but have been following with interest this thread. Your point is very interesting indeed, but just wandering, since it s no surprise that this ring has had no easy life and therefore is not in good condition, could it be that maybe the runes have been also damaged, hit and that is the reason for them to be different?, just wandering
    Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Yes, it certainly has condition issues-at first glance, I had wondered if it had, perhaps, been in a fire and damaged the blacking....but when looking at the 1st photo in post #9, it is hard to understand how the left hand rune could be shaped as it is. It is far from matching the right hand rune. The top of it is curved and the bottom has a flared bottom and overall is much thicker than the other one. If it is an early authentic ring, it shows some extremely sloppy workmanship. Sorry, but it's definitely not one that I would have in my collection.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Ring What do you think?
    P
    Many

There are plenty of known period rings which each rune is not symmetrical to the other. Those will be seen in the publishing of that ring book. In the beginning , I thought the same while looking at rune rings. But then I was educating by some good guys. Now about every rune ring I see, the runes don't match 100%. But that's what keeps us all learning here. Thank you for your input my friend.

You really do not want to see things perfectly neat, clean, and linear here and not what you see on early pieces like this. To each his own in that regard but it's consistent with what you should see.

I like you ring, history decided that it should look like this today, but it s a ring I would definetely add to my collection, that s me

It's an endlessly interesting hobby that a person never stops learning. What is textbook today will always be displaced by something else tomorrow. I've seen big names in this hobby make incredible mistakes, but if they didn't, it would be even more questionable. I do wish that Gaspare would hurry up and publish his book, though, as it promises to be a much needed reference and is supposed to be full of excellent photos and information!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi guys, since we are talking about rings, before I enter a proper separate thread, what do you think about this ring?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Ring What do you think?   SS Ring What do you think?  

SS Ring What do you think?  

It is a whole lot easier to find an Honor ring than an original enamel Kantine ring for sure. Finding representative examples and handling them is very hard for a guy who wants to buy something like this and then you have early rings like this and I am not even sure this is enamel and it may not be. Gaspare has handled more than I have for sure but I have handled a few of them. The book should be a good piece and been a long time in the works with many delays, whether it will be good for the hobby and what fakers can take from it is another question and that is always the catch-22. This ring is likeable though and the damage might make it a little harder maybe. Textbooks in general are a hinderance in many cases and I own very few of them personally.

A known design, Jamoros....but the hollow skulls on these quite often ended in the condition that you see here. This one looks to have also burned. Unfortunately, the condition, in my opinion,would make this ring uncollectable as anything more than a simple curiosity piece.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi, sent you a PM
    Quote by hdmarley View Post
    There are plenty of known period rings which each rune is not symmetrical to the other. Those will be seen in the publishing of that ring book. In the beginning , I thought the same while looking at rune rings. But then I was educating by some good guys. Now about every rune ring I see, the runes don't match 100%. But that's what keeps us all learning here. Thank you for your input my friend.

I must agree with Wagriff on this ring. Just because an item is in a reference book, that does not always guarantee authenticity. There are numerous fakes to be found in reference books.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast