Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

SS Ring What do you think?

Article about: Here's one I got a shot at Best I can do with the photos Always appreciate your opinions guys!!!

Made a deal with the seller, 40 Euros, including post cost
    Quote by odal View Post
    Hard to say
    Good rings are meanwhile hard to get and get more and more expensive.
    If it is a real one i think ist worth this Money. Silver isn`t corrosive so i thik it Looks cleaned much better

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Ring What do you think?
    P
    Many

?

Sounds to me as a fair deal, if the ring is a period one.

A question for you, Odal....why are so many rings found with split shanks?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    A question for you, Odal....why are so many rings found with split shanks?
    That indicates that ring was on owners finger. When in the process of decomposition human tissues are expanded and splits ring shanks.

That's quite interesting! I hadn't heard of this before! So...most split shank rings are cadaver rings?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    That's quite interesting! I hadn't heard of this before! So...most split shank rings are cadaver rings?
    Yes, MOST, but not all of them, for instance time to time I've found Latvian rings with splitted shank, but this was made only for expand the ring diameter. But you need to bear in mind that such rings have usually rounded borders and edges in split area. Second, if ring was found on owners finger usually they are in very bad condition. Enamel usually eaten by ptomaine (corpse poison) and rings looks like on picture below.

SS Ring What do you think?

?

Quote by Triggerself View Post
    That indicates that ring was on owners finger. When in the process of decomposition human tissues are expanded and splits ring shanks.
    Yes, agree in parts.
    The soldering seam is the weakest point on the ring band and sometimes the solder isn`t as resistent agains corrosion like the bandmaterial itself. So you often find dug ring with open bands.

Quote by odal View Post
    Yes, agree in parts.
    The soldering seam is the weakest point on the ring band and sometimes the solder isn`t as resistent agains corrosion like the bandmaterial itself. So you often find dug ring with open bands.
    Nope, I'm not a digger, I'm SS/WH items and ring collector. But I have good friends from military archeology group called "Legenda", they told me that information.

Heavy fluctuation in temperature (frost and thaw etc.) causes even steel helmets to crack... I guess general conditions such as these are as probable of an explanation as any corpse found theory when it comes to split bands, no?

Interesting thread, not often you see good enameled "canteen" rings being posted and discussed. Seeing all the "is this real" threads when it comes to post-war biker junk kind of turns one off from following this type of thread, so this is a welcomed change.

Wow!

Interesting! I too have wondered about the band split. So I take it that most with splits were wrapped around an unfortunate soldiers finger, or the fact that they were underground for years caused the separation.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast