Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SS Totenkopfring. Original??

Article about: Hallo there. A friend of mein is looking to buy one SS Totenkopfring wit an etui and urkunde vor Dr Otto Fritzel. Ist it 100% original?? Need help now becaus he is buying it tomorrow. Many t

Quote by KEVIN23 View Post
    so, it was only awarded on 4 days in a one year period, and an honor ring reference book does not have that date in it,
    A book published BEFORE the award date.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Totenkopfring. Original??
    P
    Many

Hi, yes, it makes sense now, Im sorry, this is not my area of collecting,[rings]. So there is a book about SS honor rings published before 1938?? Im not sure I understand, rbminis, could you please clarify. Once again, sorry about my ignorance, I probably should have not commented on this at all, but it all seems a little strange.

Many thanks once again HPL2008! Ist was very informative and useful!! Hope ist original because my friend pay tonight for the set. Regards,

?

I wish you luck... Keep us informed on the results !! G
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Totenkopfring. Original?? 
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

As there have been no opinions offered as to the ring being genuine or not, I'll put in my two penn'orth.

I think it's the real deal. The skull design and runic panels are spot on for the 1930's design ring and furthermore the clincher for me is the engraved dedication, it's spot on for a genuine ring in ALL of the details of the engraved script. The really convincing part for me is the title prefix "Dr." with the "_" under the small "r". This is very unusual as nearly all rings with that title are engraved just as "Dr." except in the previously unique case of the 21.6.39 ring of Dr. Brandt that has the same "_" under the "r" and is clearly engraved by the hand of the same engraver. I have wondered if the ring may have been re-polished in recent times though, the interior looks remarkably unblemished even for a relatively unworn ring.

The ring box also matches original ones very well. There were five known variants over the years and this one is the most common. It looks good to me, but again I can't help wonder that it's been messed with as well. The complete lack of any paint wear on the rim after 70 odd years raises suspicions for me it's been touched up, and the poor silver paint job on the runes and rings only go to strengthen this opinion I have. I've never seen a box good or bad, that's been that sloppily finished before, and neither a genuine one without any wear however slight, around the rim.

The award document is a known type, the script appears correct and the KOH-I-NOOR watermark is a good sign. Other than that I can't really comment on it.

To summarise my thoughts, I firmly believe the ring is genuine, but possibly re-polished at some point. The box is in my opinion also real, but almost certainly shall we say, "renovated" to it's detriment The award document seems to stand a good chance, but needs confirming or otherwise by others. All in all it all fits together nicely, which in itself makes one wary but who really knows?? Some will say a trip to Don Boyle may be required unless it's already been COA'd by him or perhaps even pooh-poohed by him before now.......

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by militaria1143 View Post
    Many thanks once again HPL2008! Ist was very informative and useful!! Hope ist original because my friend pay tonight for the set. Regards,
    Just make sure he has a grace period of at least 2 weeks and can return it if it turns out bad in any regard!!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Bravo Ned ! G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Hallo Ned, many thanks, your opinion was very important! Verry fundamented explanation, you ar an true expert in thie things! I told my frend that send you many thanks too. Regards!

Quote by big ned View Post
    As there have been no opinions offered as to the ring being genuine or not, I'll put in my two penn'orth.

I think it's the real deal. The skull design and runic panels are spot on for the 1930's design ring and furthermore the clincher for me is the engraved dedication, it's spot on for a genuine ring in ALL of the details of the engraved script. The really convincing part for me is the title prefix "Dr." with the "_" under the small "r". This is very unusual as nearly all rings with that title are engraved just as "Dr." except in the previously unique case of the 21.6.39 ring of Dr. Brandt that has the same "_" under the "r" and is clearly engraved by the hand of the same engraver. I have wondered if the ring may have been re-polished in recent times though, the interior looks remarkably unblemished even for a relatively unworn ring.

The ring box also matches original ones very well. There were five known variants over the years and this one is the most common. It looks good to me, but again I can't help wonder that it's been messed with as well. The complete lack of any paint wear on the rim after 70 odd years raises suspicions for me it's been touched up, and the poor silver paint job on the runes and rings only go to strengthen this opinion I have. I've never seen a box good or bad, that's been that sloppily finished before, and neither a genuine one without any wear however slight, around the rim.

The award document is a known type, the script appears correct and the KOH-I-NOOR watermark is a good sign. Other than that I can't really comment on it.

To summarise my thoughts, I firmly believe the ring is genuine, but possibly re-polished at some point. The box is in my opinion also real, but almost certainly shall we say, "renovated" to it's detriment The award document seems to stand a good chance, but needs confirming or otherwise by others. All in all it all fits together nicely, which in itself makes one wary but who really knows?? Some will say a trip to Don Boyle may be required unless it's already been COA'd by him or perhaps even pooh-poohed by him before now.......

Regards, Ned.

I am not seeing anything glaringly amiss with this Honor Ring. It is, as said, named to an actual existing SS Officer-even though the book in which he is listed was put out before the date of his receiving his ring-I can see no reason to doubt it. As for the design style, the engraving font, the issue date...all look A-1 to me. It's condition is excellent. If it Is a fake-then we all have something to worry about, as it would have to be a near flawless fake indeed. As for the box and award document, I would need to see them both in hand for a more definitive assessment, but at the moment, I am, again, seeing no reason to doubt them. As a Set, the grouping is exceptionally desirable and almost never seen. I have to say that this is the 1st such trio that I have encountered.

No one has mentioned the asking price for them? Price would be a consideration and a factor in authenticity also. Is this coming from a Dealer or a Collector? And does it include a return guarantee?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Many thanks Wagriff, verry substantial explanation, meanwhile he payed already for thie set, ist was 9500€! Not to much expensive?? In your opinion?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I am not seeing anything glaringly amiss with this Honor Ring. It is, as said, named to an actual existing SS Officer-even though the book in which he is listed was put out before the date of his receiving his ring-I can see no reason to doubt it. As for the design style, the engraving font, the issue date...all look A-1 to me. It's condition is excellent. If it Is a fake-then we all have something to worry about, as it would have to be a near flawless fake indeed. As for the box and award document, I would need to see them both in hand for a more definitive assessment, but at the moment, I am, again, seeing no reason to doubt them. As a Set, the grouping is exceptionally desirable and almost never seen. I have to say that this is the 1st such trio that I have encountered.

No one has mentioned the asking price for them? Price would be a consideration and a factor in authenticity also. Is this coming from a Dealer or a Collector? And does it include a return guarantee?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast