Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SS Yule Lighter, good or fake ?

Article about: by Erich S Again, I have no problem with it. There are few things you look for on these and everything looks right to me. JMO! What things exactly. I, and others here one would assume, would

Default SS Yule Lighter, good or fake ?

Hi,

I purchase this "Yulleuchter" this morning at a flee market for a little price, what is your opinion please.
    I have no experience in porcelan items. What is exactly a "Yulleuchter"
    Thank you very much for help.

Best regards from Alsace , France.
    Carfin.

SS Yule Lighter, good or fake ?SS Yule Lighter, good or fake ?
    SS Yule Lighter, good or fake ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Yule Lighter, good or fake ?
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS Yule Lighter, good or fake ?

Hi Carfin,

The SS runes appear to be hand inscribed with a potters stylus when in fact they should be stamped like these. Hope that someone else can offer more info on this item as they are heavily faked.

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Yule Lighter, good or fake ? 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I cannot really comment on your item itself, but about your question as to what exactly a Julleuchter is, you may find more here...:

Julleuchter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...and here, including period images showing its manufacturing process:

SS Porzellan Allach Julleuchter

Sad to say, this leuchter is a fairly modern times reproduction. The quality of the markings and design work is not up to the original's standards. But on a lighter note, it's not a Bad repro. There are Tons of these faked and this is not a bad one! It would make for a good display,at least.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Sad to say, this leuchter is a fairly modern times reproduction. The quality of the markings and design work is not up to the original's standards. But on a lighter note, it's not a Bad repro. There are Tons of these faked and this is not a bad one! It would make for a good display,at least.
    Got to agree with Will. Depending on what you paid for it, you may have a nice 'filler' as they say! There are repro's out there that are advertised as such, alot are being made for modern day Pagans, who like the mysticsm connected with the Julleuchter but they obviously don't have the SS runes. These are retailing at $300 and more for some that are not as good as yours.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi,

Thank you HPL 2008 for the links.
    Thank you Ned & William , a little observation Ned, I dont think so that the SS marking is made with a stylus, whenn you look with a jewellers glass, the marking is made with a stamp.
    Although it is, thank you very much for your replies.

Best regards from Alsace , France.
    Carfin.

I believe the Juleuchter pictured is original with all the traits that I like to see.

?

I reckon it's good as well, the markings look ok, bit of a mis stamp, but certainly looks like the real deal to me

In my opinion, the baked clay does not have the look of being 80 years old and handled extensively for 8 decades with bare hand fingers. Over that much time, the clay acquires an almost glazed effect-especially so on the 4 shoulders where it is grasped and handled. And, while it's true, that all Allach Jul Leuchters did not carry the 6 dot marking on the one panel, this one does not look to have the sharp and crisply executed ornamentation design work as they should. And, contrary to prevailing opinion, they did not Always have Allach markings at all on them. I acquired one years ago straight from a Dutch SS veteran that had no markings at all on it. Nor does the bottom and the 4 short feet show 80 years of sitting on surfaces-the bottom opening edges in the ring especially so. This piece shown exhibits little if any sign of melted candle wax and even less-if any at all-of interior sooting. These leuchters were awarded to the men and extensively used- if there are unissued examples still extant, I, personally, have never encountered one. I would still have to say that I feel this is a hand-made and kilned repro-possibly made in the last 20 year period. Very faithful to the original design and carefully made, but still not up to the Allach quality standards.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Again, I have no problem with it. There are few things you look for on these and everything looks right to me. JMO!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast