Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on authenticity of SS honor ring

Article about: This honor ring is part of a large collection of material from an estate that is going to dealt with soon. I've been asked to help with values/authenticity on some items and with rings I hav

Default Thoughts on authenticity of SS honor ring

This honor ring is part of a large collection of material from an estate that is going to dealt with soon. I've been asked to help with values/authenticity on some items and with rings I have no experience so I thought I'd put it up here and see what you guys think. Any help is appreciated. Thoughts on authenticity of SS honor ringThoughts on authenticity of SS honor ringThoughts on authenticity of SS honor ringThoughts on authenticity of SS honor ring

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts on authenticity of SS honor ring
    P
    Many

?

Sorry to say it is junk. No where near the quality of an original.

So it's just a cheap reproduction? What's the red flags so that I can pass it on to them or is it just everything about it??

?

For every one original ring there are hundreds if not thousands of fakes. These rings seem to hold the same grip on the consciousness of the collecting community as the SS cap badges. From the blurry images of the ring shown here it obvious that the engraving was not done at the Gahr workshop.
    Thoughts on authenticity of SS honor ringThoughts on authenticity of SS honor ringThoughts on authenticity of SS honor ring

I normally don't give opinions on items to spare my own mental health. Good luck.

Quote by Panzeric1 View Post
    So it's just a cheap reproduction? What's the red flags so that I can pass it on to them or is it just everything about it??
    Whatever comments there are, only one point really matters as to why this particular ring is a lemon. It's the bestowal date of 8.10.42 (8th of October 1942). It never existed as a date used on Ehrenrings, ever.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

These things have been faked since the 1970s, if not earlier.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Whatever comments there are, only one point really matters as to why this particular ring is a lemon. It's the bestowal date of 8.10.42 (8th of October 1942). It never existed as a date used on Ehrenrings, ever.

Regards, Ned.
    Some of these fake making thieves have no idea that the dates in them weren't just randomly picked out of a hat...they had reasons and significance. Unfortunately, some of the newer high-end fakers are finally beginning to realize this and are now looking up dates and names, rather than just copying designs.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

"I normally don't give opinions on items to spare my own mental health."

Fine words. I should adhere to them more than I do.

I do not know where to point this seeker as to examples of authentic rings of this type, so someone else should undertake the task.

I had one of these in 1973. They were like sands on the beach at the time.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Some of these fake making thieves have no idea that the dates in them weren't just randomly picked out of a hat...they had reasons and significance. Unfortunately, some of the newer high-end fakers are finally beginning to realize this and are now looking up dates and names, rather than just copying designs.
    That's true. But if you know what you're looking at overall, then it doesn't really matter. As far as is currently known, non of the fakers have cracked it......Yet.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Every year, they get just a little bit better.....so far? No...but tomorrow? Who knows...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast