Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

West Wall Ring - Good?

Article about: Hello all, I've been offered another item by my dealer friend - it's a west wall 1939/40 ring. I've done a bit of digging around on this forum and its looks as though it's a genuine piece (s

?

Default West Wall Ring - Good?

Hello all, I've been offered another item by my dealer friend - it's a west wall 1939/40 ring. I've done a bit of digging around on this forum and its looks as though it's a genuine piece (silver plating wearing off showing brass composition etc.). What is everyone's opinion? Also, how much is something like this worth in the UK? Many thanks, skip01.

West Wall Ring - Good?West Wall Ring - Good?West Wall Ring - Good?West Wall Ring - Good?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture West Wall Ring - Good?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement West Wall Ring - Good?
    P
    Many

I like it...I'd pay $50-$60 for it...
    Glenn

?

Hard to say with this pics.
    A very common period pattern.
    Always die struck, brass and in good/new condition
    nickel plated.
    Be careful...rather well made cast fakes are around

For comparing not so good pic of a worn original
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture West Wall Ring - Good?  

I would say
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I'm going to go the other way and says it looks cast to me. Details appear soft and if that is due to wear, why is the base material not showing through?

Why would anyone actually Cast a Brass piece? Personally, I cannot imagine why anyone would go to the trouble of making a fake of a silver plated brass ring of relatively low initial value? These rings were cheap to begin with and were never all that much high quality workmanship. If you look, the poster's ring actually has finer detail to the cannon that Odal's reference piece. I think that the quality and workmanship would surely vary greatly on such things as these rings. I can't imagine that there is a large enough market for such a thing to merit producing fake ones.
    William

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Why would anyone actually Cast a Brass piece? Personally, I cannot imagine why anyone would go to the trouble of making a fake of a silver plated brass ring of relatively low initial value? These rings were cheap to begin with and were never all that much high quality workmanship. If you look, the poster's ring actually has finer detail to the cannon that Odal's reference piece. I think that the quality and workmanship would surely vary greatly on such things as these rings. I can't imagine that there is a large enough market for such a thing to merit producing fake ones.
    Sorry, i have to disagree.
    Of course there are fakes of this pattern out
    .....and originals where "nickel" plated.

Possible this ring is a old one new plated, but for sure not period silver plated.

I guess if a person can make a dollar on Anything, they'll do it....What a hobby! lol
    William

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I guess if a person can make a dollar on Anything, they'll do it....What a hobby! lol
    Oh yes
    For example rings....

Look on the auction site

militaria321.com

and search keyword ring.
    You will get about 200 results.
    For sure 195 or more of them are fakes and fantasy

?

Thanks for the excellent response guys! You learn something new everyday - might have to think twice about this one after all. All the best! skip01.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast