Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2 photos - Liberation of Buchenwald

Article about: Hello Friends, I was digging through some of my stuff and found these two photos that i thought you might find interesting. I believe the writing on the wall of the building translates to, &

Default 2 photos - Liberation of Buchenwald

Hello Friends,

I was digging through some of my stuff and found these two photos that i thought you might find interesting. I believe the writing on the wall of the building translates to, "The German political prisoners welcome you American friends". As always , i look forward to your input.

Take care,

Mart

2 photos - Liberation of Buchenwald2 photos - Liberation of Buchenwald

Interesting pics. Thank you for sharing.
    John

MAP
    ?

Any idea of the location Mart? Nice photos.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Unfortunately no.

Mart

Presumably at the end of the war once the guards had run off.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Presumably at the end of the war once the guards had run off.
    In the first photo there are two US soldiers. So the camp was liberated but the prisoners had no where to go yet.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    In the first photo there are two US soldiers. So the camp was liberated but the prisoners had no where to go yet.
    Did you notice the bomber jacket that the first soldier is wearing? Iv'e always wanted a bomber jacket, finding one today in good condition and hasn't been messed with is not easily done nor is it cheap.

Mart

MAP
    ?

Quote by Martin C View Post
    Did you notice the bomber jacket that the first soldier is wearing? Iv'e always wanted a bomber jacket, finding one today in good condition and hasn't been messed with is not easily done nor is it cheap.

Mart
    I actual did. When I saw it I was then trying to figure out why he was wearing it when it does not appear to be so cold and he doesn't appear to be part of a bomber crew. But heck...if I had one I too would wear it everyday! LoL

?

It was taken at KL-Buchenwald, not at a POW camp - note the familiar striped uniforms visible in the picture. This, along with many other similar images I have seen over the years, shows the greeting and thanks painted onto the barracks for the liberating forces to see.

I've attached similar images, one showing a near identical scene (I believe a Bundesarchiv image), the other, a similar message written in English.

Buchenwald was liberated by US forces on April 11th 1945.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 photos - Liberation of Buchenwald   2 photos - Liberation of Buchenwald  

?

I've moved the thread to the Konzentrationslagers forum and also edited the title for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast