Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

94 year old former Auschwitz guard goes on trial in Germany

Article about: Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 1:30 am Associated Press | DETMOLD, Germany (AP) — A 94-year-old former Auschwitz guard is going on trial on 170,000 counts of accessory to murder in west

Quote by CARL88 View Post
    If proven to be a member of the staff who served within the Auschwitz camp system, then yes, I believe that it is certainly plausible that the court will pass sentence upon the accused.

Some readers of the thread are perhaps not fully aware of the background to the well publicised advertising campaign which serves to highlight the contemporary pursuit of Nazi war criminals...

The Wiesenthal Center publicity campaign "SPÄT, ABER NICHT ZU SPÄT" ("Late, but not too late"), launched in the summer of 2013, was designed to give a boost to Operation Last Chance II - the search for heretofore unprosecuted war criminals in Germany. For those who do not know, the campaign was launched following the Demanjuk conviction in München. To understand exactly why the hunt continues at such a late hour, one needs to note the key points outlined below by Dr. Efraim Zuroff, a man often referred to as the chief "Nazi Hunter":

1. The passage of time in no way diminishes the guilt of the killers.

2. Old age should not afford immunity to murderers.

3. Every one of the Nazis' victims deserves that an effort be made to hold their killers accountable.

4. This ongoing effort is a reminder of the importance of Holocaust crimes and a warning to contemporary anti-Semites and racists.

5. These trials are helpful in the ongoing struggle against Holocaust denial and distortion.

Carl
    An understandable and correct premise in itself that I for one, although agreeing in spirit with it, can't help but feel it's now all too little, too late.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

They have to be prosecuted, no question, without doubt yes, but one has to ask, why has it taken so long, and why now ? .......

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    With the migrant/refugee crisis, call it what you wish, Germany and indeed Europe face uncertain and possibly dark times ahead once again, we can already see a clash of cultures developing, this could clearly be seen on New Years Eve all over Germany
    Ridiculous and off topic.

They have to be prosecuted, no question, without doubt yes, but one has to ask, why has it taken so long, and why now ? .......
    I think the title given to the original proposed prosecution of these elderly people may give the answer to that, "Operation Last Chance II". The German government may wish to draw a line under the atrocities committed under the direction of it's wartime forebears whilst there are still members of that generation to answer to it, however culpable the individual may or may not be.

I can't help but wonder what happened to "Operation Last Chance I"??
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

It seems to me that the current German government are trying very hard to absolve themselves finally from the hideous crimes committed by its " wartime forebears " as Big Ned puts it. I do ponder however, what comes next ? The Euro crisis, the migrant crisis are important issues in Germany and Europe right now, perhaps they should concentrate more on contemporary issues more vigorously. Just an opinion of course...

It seems to me that the current German government are trying very hard to absolve themselves finally from the hideous crimes committed by its " wartime forebears " as Big Ned puts it. I do ponder however, what comes next ? The Euro crisis, the migrant crisis are important issues in Germany and Europe right now, perhaps they should concentrate more on contemporary issues more vigorously. Just an opinion of course...
    I originally wrote "Nazi goverment", but changed it to the clunky sounding "wartime forebears" as I thought that my original term using the "N-word" could be construed as a useful smokescreen to excuse the actions of a surprisingly large majority of Germans at that time rather than just a ruling party that enforced a vile political, immoral and anti social dogmatism that was followed by millions without having the discomfort of having to face what was going on in front of their eyes and having cause to think about it.

Just how this was allowed to happen is I believe, another heavy psychological burden that modern day Germany is still trying to answer for itself today, and the judicial processes currently being played out in front of the entire modern world are part of an attempt to salve a nations consciousness that seems to me to becoming a little overwrought or even perhaps, paranoid. Again I stress this is my opinion only.

Regards, Ned.

Sorry for being simplistic gents but if this old bastard was responsible for even one death then sort him out I reckon, I don't care how old he is. People suffered terribly in these places, if he was so innocent then look for signs of him requesting a transfer etc...Just my opinion fellas.

?

I agree if guilty the price should be paid , No matter at what time in your life you are found. But death by association for the name of the KZ camp that they served at. If the hammer should fall, There are so many more individual that should be called to their accountability. So many atrocities and torture and murders committed under that reign , That not the few but the many who where able to go on with their lives should be called to justify their deeds and punished for them. So many names ,so many places, so many deaths. But those are swept under the carpet and a major focus put on these camps and those that served there. Some time it is a political move or who was our enemy/allies at the time. Like mentioned before the Police force in Germany and its occupied countries who were "Just Following Orders" seem to escape the Hang mans noose. Their are so many but Heinz Pannwits the head of Sonderkommando Pannwitz in Paris and his torture and murdering deeds done while combating the 'Rote Kapelle"comes to mind. Was the fighting of the Red regime deem acceptable at the wars end and these Gent's allowed to serve the new ruling party for there intel about the Communist and live their lives out peacefully with no reprisal? So many were!

I see now why lady Justice has a blind fold on!
    94 year old former Auschwitz guard goes on trial in Germany

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Gents.. Bear with me... In The United States... If D.N.A. is found on a fellow here that committed a crime in the past they are usually punished as a "Criminal".. Evidence is evidence.. Let justice prevail and the outcome either adverse or to our liking be the final "Judge"..
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

It is no surprise that people are still be arrested. It is what it is.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast