Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Amon Göth's villa would you want to live there?

Article about: Dom Amona G The villa where Amon Göth lived has been sold and is to be turned into apartments!.... You'll need a translator!.....

Quote by CARL88 View Post
    When we arrived at the site during the recent KZ tour, I noticed the changes to the house from the last time I was there - about a year prior. Gone where the large advertisements and overgrown garden, it was obvious that things had moved along since I last spoke with the owner. The house itself, which has been private property for over twenty years, has been up for sale for quite a long time - some five years or so. The town of Krakow were offered the property but declined, with potential "unhealthy interest" given as the reason for not wanting to turn the house into some form of museum. Regarding the alteration of the property, which is not a large house by any means, it will patently change the internal outlay of the house dramatically. Developers, no doubt looking to maximise their investment, want to alter the structure so as to house more than one family and there is also talk of a commercial premises on the ground floor.
    If one reads the newspaper article carefully one will understand that " potential "unhealthy interest " refers to the person of Amon Goeth, not to the Villa itself. Second of all City of Krakow spokesman said that there was never an official offer to sell the villa to the City....
    Yes, i understand that the article is in Polish so if Polish is not ones first language then some things can be missed.
    The Villa itself has been on the "Historic Register " in Krakow, therefore any changes to the outside and inside have to be approved by the City first, so it is not going to be so easy to change things for the new owner.
    Second of all the newspaper itself " Gazeta Wyborcza " owned by a highly controversial person with his own agenda, his brother Stefan Michnik was a communist "judge" and murderer of Polish Patriots after WW2.
    He escaped to Sweden where he was given asylum...... asylum for mass murderer.....

?

Thank you for the correction. I was also made aware of the desire to avoid any "unhealthy interest" not by the failures of an online translator, but by my contact with the owner - which was mentioned above. Let us also please remember to try and keep the thread on track, addressing the property and the property alone.

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I've been inside it mate and it does make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck!...
    Gunny, did you manage to post any images taken inside the house during your tour stop..?

Quote by CARL88 View Post
    Gunny, did you manage to post any images taken inside the house during your tour stop..?
    Only these from in the cellar Carl!....Amon Göth's villa would you want to live there?Amon Göth's villa would you want to live there?Amon Göth's villa would you want to live there?
    The owner told me the doors were from built in wardrobes in the bed rooms!...

sometimes places do have a atmosphere.

As I recall from our recent visit to the Plaszow camp area, some of the windows had been replaced although they did not look very contemporary to me, but I guess the city planning department will be keeping a close eye on developments. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Amon Göth's villa would you want to live there?  

?

I would have thought a museum to remember the camp victims would have been more appropriate. But, there again this could be viewed in some peoples eyes as another "must see" on a tourist guide.

As ever, a very debatable subject !

Gary J.

Living in such a house could lead you in seeing things... If the atmosphere is right and the wine flows then you will see and hear things for sure!!! But this isn't a house you would like to move in WITH your collection!!! It is just TOO much for these walls!! It would be like taunting the ghosts and surely the major and the locals would not agree that you collect 'out of hisotrical passion'!!

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I've been inside it mate and it does make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck!...
    I know what you mean - I too was in it, just about three weeks ago . . . creepy thoughts, indeed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Amon Göth's villa would you want to live there?   Amon Göth's villa would you want to live there?  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2