Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Auschwitz-II, Birkenau: the "Crematoria Waiting Room" and Josef Mengele's office.

Article about: Compound BIIf at Birkenau, Auschwitz II, was one of the worst sections of the entire camp. The area was used as a Haftlingskrankenbau (prisoner infirmary), from July 1943 until January 1945,

?

Default Auschwitz-II, Birkenau: the "Crematoria Waiting Room" and Josef Mengele's office.

Compound BIIf at Birkenau, Auschwitz II, was one of the worst sections of the entire camp. The area was used as a Haftlingskrankenbau (prisoner infirmary), from July 1943 until January 1945, when the camp was eventually liberated by Soviet troops. Inmates of the camp called the area the "crematoria waiting room", due to the fact that most of the prisoners held in this particular compound were destined for the crematoria. In addition to horrific experiments conducted by SS doctors such as the infamous Josef Mengele, selections were also undertaken at this part of the camp, with those chosen sent to their deaths in one of the four gas chambers located nearby. Block 1 was used as an administrative block for the SS, a pharmacy and also an office for the camp's SS doctors. It is here, that Josef Mengele conducted much of his work.

Regards,

Carl

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Auschwitz-II, Birkenau: the "Crematoria Waiting Room" and Josef Mengele's office.  
    Last edited by CARL; 03-13-2013 at 12:12 PM.

?

Default Re: KL-Auschwitz, the "Crematoria Waiting Room" and Josef Mengele's office.

Block 12 - An anteroom, visible to the right of the image below, was used for laying out the dead. One of the rooms located within this part of the block, was also used as a dissecting room.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Auschwitz-II, Birkenau: the "Crematoria Waiting Room" and Josef Mengele's office.  

?

Default Re: KL-Auschwitz, the "Crematoria Waiting Room" and Josef Mengele's office.

Block 15 - SS Doctor Horst Schumann conducted experimental X-ray sterilisation tests, over in Block 30 of Camp BIa. The many Jews who suffered these experiences were detained within this block. Josef Mengele also conducted various experiments on twins, cripples and dwarfs here, beginning in July 1944.

Other blocks within the compound of BIIf, were used for conducting forced abortions and many experiments of varying nature.

Regards,

Carl

It sends a shiver down your spine just looking at these images

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Sheer barbarity, i think i remember there were experiments to sterilise people with massive doses of X rays. Chilling.

Thanks for sharing, all those poor innocent souls, may they rest in peace.

Thanks for sharing, Tiger. In 2007 I went to Berlin for a short study-abroad session and visited the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp. Although not a major camp compared to others in terms of size or the amount of innocent people put to death (I believe mostly political prisoners were incarcerated at Sachsenhausen)... I'll never forget it. Perhaps because it's the only camp I've visited so far, it will always stand out in my mind. When teaching the subject, I always mention it with the likes of Auschwitz, Buchenwald, Dachau, Treblinka, Sobibor, etc.

In retrospect, the group of college kids I went to Berlin with was a very lively and light-hearted bunch... It's amazing how powerful the atmosphere of a place can be, even decades later... As soon as we entered the "Arbeit Macht Frei" gates of Sachsenhausen I don't think a word was spoken by any of us... only tears were shed.

?

From the smallest of the many thousands of subcamps, that held a mere handful of prisoners, to the large sprawling abyss that was Auschwitz II-Birkenau, none should be forgotten. Educating others about these horrors of the past is a duty we are bound to, for through these means we stand a chance to help eradicate repetition in the future.

Regards,

Carl

I have not had the opportunity to visit any of the camp sites as of yet but it is most definately something that i must do sooner rather than later.I have however visited the holocaust museum at YAD VASHEM in JERUSALEM.That was a very humbleing experience as i'm sure you can all imagine.As you work your way through the museum amongst the horrific personal effects of the prisoners,it slowly gets lighter and in the distance there are beautiful glimpses of hope and life,once at the end of the zig zag layout of the building you reach the most beautiful outlook over the green hills of JERUSALEM!! Such a poiniant illustration between the hell of history you have just passed through into the beauty of life ahead.

?

Haunting images, horrific deeds. The hell on earth that took place here is beyond the scope of the imagination.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast