Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Auschwitz-III

Article about: The huge industrial sector located at Auschwitz-III, also known as "Monowitz" after the largest of its affiliated camps, was established during the autumn of 1942. A year later, th

?

If anyone happens to make a future journey to the site, there are many interesting things to see - all over the place! We discovered what we felt was a park, located very near the memorial at the Monowitz site - and walking around for only a few minutes, discovered at least half-a-dozen remnants of military installations. Amongst the many one-man shelters scattered all over the place, we came across a very large underground bunker installation - that may have even been some kind of gun emplacement. Unfortunately, we did not take the time to explore the entire site - but I bet many more things are there, still waiting to be discovered.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Auschwitz-III  

?

And if one were to drive over to the entrance of the current chemical plant on the site, you can see a few of these big monsters as well! Thought about jumping the fence, and seeing if a door was open . . . but since we didn't speak the lingo, thought better of it - just in case we happened to get caught. In my experience, it has always been best to explain one's actions in the local tongue.

One other thing we found curious - everywhere you looked, these little, one-man concrete shelters seemed to be in the yard. Suppose it wouldn't be easy to remove - and best just to cut the grass around them.

A great thread. The pictures are amazing and one day I hope to visit this region and see the Camps.

Smitty

?

Quote by Okeana View Post
    If anyone happens to make a future journey to the site, there are many interesting things to see - all over the place! We discovered what we felt was a park, located very near the memorial at the Monowitz site - and walking around for only a few minutes, discovered at least half-a-dozen remnants of military installations. Amongst the many one-man shelters scattered all over the place, we came across a very large underground bunker installation - that may have even been some kind of gun emplacement. Unfortunately, we did not take the time to explore the entire site - but I bet many more things are there, still waiting to be discovered.
    The memorial pictured is not at the Monowitz camp site...many make this mistake. The one shown above stands on the grounds of former IG Farben offices and living facilities - and is often called the Buna-Werke memorial, as it commemorates those who suffered within the entire Auschwitz-III Industriekomplex - including all of the affiliated camps, the largest of which was Monowitz. The Monowitz camp site has its own memorial, shown earlier in the thread.

Carl

?

...and the one man shelters were generally located at or near to the base of a Wachturm (watchtower) - the SS installed these at many sites, including the Stammlager (Main Camp) at Auschwitz-I (see attachment below).

Carl

?

Quote by CARL View Post
    ...and the one man shelters were generally located at or near to the base of a Wachturm (watchtower) - the SS installed these at many sites, including the Stammlager (Main Camp) at Auschwitz-I (see attachment below).

Carl
    That's interesting - and tells me there must have been a whole lot of watchtowers around the A-III site, as we came across a boatload of these things when walking around the place!

?

Found a bunch of the one-man shelters in brick - much like the type you reference, found at the A-I site - all over the countryside around Prague last Fall. Them Germans sure did like there watchtowers, I guess.

?

For reference, here is what one will find on the plaque at the base of the monument at the Buna-Werke/Auschwitz-III memorial site:
    Last edited by CARL; 10-06-2016 at 10:21 AM.

?

...this is what the monument at the Monowitz site looked like, when I was there:
    Last edited by CARL; 10-06-2016 at 10:20 AM.

?

...another year passes...

72 years ago, the largest extermination site in modern history, Auschwitz II-Birkenau, ceased to operate. The liberators found tormented innocents left behind by the SS to rot and die...to fade away along with the horrific crimes they, the SS, had performed at this and countless other sites within the camp system of Nazi Germany. Take time to think of them today...and remember what happened...for if we forget...we fail them and ourselves.

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Auschwitz-III   Auschwitz-III  

Auschwitz-III  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3