Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Auschwitz shoe

Article about: It isn't uncommon for such items to lie undiscovered for so long. I recall back in 1970 walking through the woods on the Verdun battlefields. And as I looked up into the trees, I could see b

?

Default Re: Auschwitz shoe

I have never been to Auschwitz sites and its on my bucket list. The Birkenau camp site is indeed massive and there would be thousands of artifacts buried below a thin surface of soil which gets pushed up over time or uncovered by the elements as Harry said. I've seen it myself on the battlefields of WW1 and 200 tons of debris gets carted off annually from the fields. They expect 200 more tons, per year for the next few decades as well. Tourists typically won't venture far off the beaten path either.

Visiting in winter I imagine connects you with the suffering and sad history the inmates must have felt more than a summer visit. To think the inmates had no winter clothing or boots, were malnourished and filthy, the suffering would have been incredible. I have read many books and accounts of Auschwitz and the camps, they said the only way to survive was to get a job inside.

Have you been to the other camps at Chelmno, Majdenak, Treblinka, Sobibor and Belzec?

I've never been to any of the other "death" camps, the only other KL i've been to is Sachsenhausen, even though killings were not on the industrial scale it's still a grim place.

?

The actual "Auschwitz zone of interest" is 40 square kilometres. This area includes the former Auschwitz I (the main camp), II (Birkenau) and III (Monowitz) camps, as well as the security zone. Remember that Birkenau is 10 minutes away from the main camp by car too. The well known view from the guard tower at Birkenau, looking down the railway tracks towards the crematoria, is approximately 1.2km in length. However, that is not the longest stretch, that being the width from the external fencing outside of camp B1, to the far reaches of the perimeter of camp BIII, the partially constructed site known as Mexico. Worthy examples of Birkenau maps will show the sites beyond these boundaries though, such as the provisonal gas chambers, the mass burial pits and other sites such as the sewage treatment facilities etc. The woods that surround the main areas of the Birkenau camp complex are not the limits of this vast place.

Regards,

Carl
    Last edited by CARL; 06-26-2013 at 10:09 PM.

?

As yet, none of those named above Doug. The preparation study work began last year for our visit to Majdanek, but due to circumstances beyond our control, the trip was postponed. I'm hopeful, all being well, to get there this winter, but another project has taken priority for this autumn/winter.

Regards,

Carl

?

I would be interested in hearing more about the studies of yours and past / future visits. The trip I am planning is a 2 - 3 week trip to visit all the 6 camps, with extra time in the Krakow / Auschwitz area. I feel a sense of purpose and want to visit them all one day.

Quote by DougB View Post
    I would be interested in hearing more about the studies of yours and past / future visits. The trip I am planning is a 2 - 3 week trip to visit all the 6 camps, with extra time in the Krakow / Auschwitz area. I feel a sense of purpose and want to visit them all one day.
    While you are in Krakow do the Oskar Schindler tour, you can book at any of the tourist information offices.

?

Certainly Doug, I would gladly oblige. I respect your wish to dedicate the appropriate time too, a luxury that not many are able to afford, but one that I am sure you will make the most of.

Regards,

Carl

?

The view as mentioned above, from the guard tower looking towards the crematoria.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Auschwitz shoe   Auschwitz shoe  

On a side note, you will need 2-3 weeks to see Krakow as a city with all of its architecture and museums and bars :-)

Quote by meyle77 View Post
    On a side note, you will need 2-3 weeks to see Krakow as a city with all of its architecture and museums and bars :-)
    Not forgetting the Polish aviation museum!....Polish Aviation Museum Cracow

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast