Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Auschwitz shoe

Article about: It isn't uncommon for such items to lie undiscovered for so long. I recall back in 1970 walking through the woods on the Verdun battlefields. And as I looked up into the trees, I could see b

?

Default Re: Auschwitz shoe

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    I hate to even say this, but my sinister side makes me ask myself if this wasn't a trap. I know theft has accrued at this camp, including the front sign, so maybe this was a way to spot a criminal in action? I know it's a really long stretch, but it just seems strange one shoe has sat there over 60 yrs without one employee spotting it. I would think at bare minimum one guest by now would have at least informed staff? What do you all think? Btw, thanks for the post, I had family in a sub camp. I wanted to go for my honeymoon, begged the new wife, but the darn women wasn't having it and made us go to Tahiti and bora bora. :/ However in bora bora I learning the allies had a base there, even visiting some of the remaining sites. I never get to pick anything lol!
    This is to crazy for words man! And who the hell takes his new wife to a concentrationcamp on Honeymoon??? Ohw man...

?

A poignant image ringbuffer, thank you for sharing that with us.

Jerry, I appreciate your addition to the thread. The plans outline the main areas of both Auschwitz-I, The Main Camp, and Auschwitz-II, Birkenau, site of the main extermination facilities rather well. It should however, be noted that although those plans are among the better and more detailed ones that are available today, even these, which have been well produced and highlight the often overlooked burial pits, i.e. the red areas on the drawings, are not complete. More such areas exist, beyond the limits of these drawings. I am yet to see one plan, that completely covers all notable points of Birkenau. Simply, because there remain so, so many.

Take a moment to look at the plans that Jerry has kindly added above, and remember that each of those tiny lines marks a barrack where many hundreds existed, I refrain from using the word lived, in such horrific conditions that we today, cannot imagine. Ankle deep in putrid, diseased filth, these poor souls where condemned to the utmost misery, each and every day until for many, death alone granted a somber release from the torture.

Regards,

Carl

?

Another image from Auschwitz II, Birkenau. This was taken during early evening several years ago, and shows one of the main drainage ditches that run parallel to the rail tracks leading to the crematoria complex. At the far end, on the right hand side as one approaches from the main guard tower looking toward Krematoria III, we found a freshly killed deer in the ditch, horribly savaged by a dog by the looks of it. There are those that say no birds sing there, or that no sign of life is present, almost as if the animals know that death stalked this area more than any other on our planet, yet it isn't true. Birkenau is a wooded area, and there remain animals a plenty.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Auschwitz shoe  

I do believe i too would get an eerie feeling staring at that shoe. The outcome of the person wearing it may not have met a good end. damn eerie.

The snow pictures gives me the chills... I can almost hear the faint, high pitched train whistle coming closer from the distance for the next arrival.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    The snow pictures gives me the chills... I can almost hear the faint, high pitched train whistle coming closer from the distance for the next arrival.
    I often think that snow makes everywhere prettier. But not here. This locale of terror was even worse when covered in snow, yet that was exactly how I wanted to experience the site, when I chose the time of year for my initial visit.

Thanks again for your thoughts Larry.

Regards,

Carl

Interestingly with the pilfering that has gone on at this site regarding the Arbeit Mach Frei sign I know of an origonal duplicate version in a German manufacturing site at the present moment , it has remained in the maintenance/stores dept bolted to the wall since being origonally place there during the war.
    I was with my girlfriends' father at the time given a guided tour round the site (in southern Germany) . We were going throo all dept's when we went down to the stores when there in front of me was the steel sign - I asked the dad about it and he just shrugged his shoulders and continued my tour. Which I found pretty ironic due to the historical value of such a piece.
    Who do I inform on this Forum of the where abouts of this piece???

?

Quote by bartman6996 View Post
    Interestingly with the pilfering that has gone on at this site regarding the Arbeit Mach Frei sign I know of an origonal duplicate version in a German manufacturing site at the present moment , it has remained in the maintenance/stores dept bolted to the wall since being origonally place there during the war.
    I was with my girlfriends' father at the time given a guided tour round the site (in southern Germany) . We were going throo all dept's when we went down to the stores when there in front of me was the steel sign - I asked the dad about it and he just shrugged his shoulders and continued my tour. Which I found pretty ironic due to the historical value of such a piece.
    Who do I inform on this Forum of the where abouts of this piece???
    I suppose a new thread could be created, within the "History and Research Third Reich forum". Did you take any images?

Hi Carl,

Unfortunately not - but I can try to get the ex girlfriends father to take a foto. He still works there. This may take a week but I will so if he can.

Regards Bart.
    Last edited by CARL; 11-27-2015 at 10:52 PM.

More recent pictures taken this year when i visted the camp with my lovely Polish girlfriend
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Auschwitz shoe   Auschwitz shoe  

Auschwitz shoe   Auschwitz shoe  

Auschwitz shoe   Auschwitz shoe  

Auschwitz shoe  

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast