Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

'Auschwitz, what was that?'

Article about: ask people about Polish-Soviet War of 1920, which saved Europe from the spread of Bolshevism

Default Re: 'Auschwitz, what was that?'

ask people about Polish-Soviet War of 1920, which saved Europe from the spread of Bolshevism

One could list many such lesser known wars and events unrelated to this thread, no?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

I once read an article that stated 30% of college graduates dont know what the Holocaust was. An additional 20% believe in the "Denial/Revisionist" story because of the amount of deniers who post online as "True Historians". I used google in a lot of my research and numerous articles and sites from David Irving and other "Deniers" are listed in the first few search results for "The Holocaust" and "Auschwitz". Which is why so many think they are correct.

?

Gents, please keep the thread within the context that was intended. Thank you.

Regards,

Carl

?

When I was at school, (many years ago!) my RE (Religous Education) teacher was a man by the name of Manny Mercer who was a camps survivor.
    We only found out by accident one day when one of us saw his "bar-code" and asked him about it.
    We got some pretty harrowing stories about the whys, wherefores and whats went off in the camps.
    On a similar note, after reading a book, (title long forgotten), I once asked my late grandfather if he had ever come across any of the camps and if he had, was what I had been reading fact or fiction? We sat down and he said he would only tell me the once about what he had seen seen and come across. Turns out he was one of the first allied soldiers into one particular camp, Belsen or Buchenwald I cant remember which, suffice to say he still had nightmares about it 40 years later!

What happened must NEVER be forgotten from ALL sides.
    Politicing over and apologies for highjacking the thread.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

PS: Carl, (mod)
    I was typing as you added the above, feel free to remove/delete if you feel it is out of context with the original text/continuation.

I feel that some schools are scared about discussing the holocaust because of the nature of events. I know when i studied GCSE history (I was 16), the school decided to run the holocaust module, but we all had to have our parents sign a consent form to allow us to study it as we were under 18 and the information we may be given could be distressing. Understandable to a degree, but i feel a lot of students who would have wanted to partake in these lessons weren't able too. I was then lucky enough for my parents to take me to Auschwitz and only then did it sink in the true horrors of the events. Some things just cant be taught in a class room and i believe teachers can teach the information until they are blue in their face, but the understanding comes when the student chooses to take it further.

[QUOTE=jimpy;910700]When I was at school, (many years ago!) my RE (Religous Education) teacher was a man by the name of Manny Mercer who was a camps survivor.
    We only found out by accident one day when one of us saw his "bar-code" and asked him about it.
    We got some pretty harrowing stories about the whys, wherefores and whats went off in the camps.
    On a similar note, after reading a book, (title long forgotten), I once asked my late grandfather if he had ever come across any of the camps and if he had, was what I had been reading fact or fiction? We sat down and he said he would only tell me the once about what he had seen seen and come across. Turns out he was one of the first allied soldiers into one particular camp, Belsen or Buchenwald I cant remember which, suffice to say he still had nightmares about it 40 years later![QUOTE]

Probably Belsen mate as I think Buchenwald was liberated by the Yanks of the 3rd Army. Respect to your Grandfather.

I grew up in Germany (70s-80s) and there were constant reminders in the media...You would have had to live in a bubble to avoid it...It got to a point that my German grandmother would groan "Must they show this stuff again?" whenever a Holocaust program was on TV...I probably knew what Auschwitz was by the time I was about 8 years old, when I entered this hobby...
    cheers, Glenn

?

Quote by jimpy View Post
    When I was at school, (many years ago!) my RE (Religous Education) teacher was a man by the name of Manny Mercer who was a camps survivor.
    On a similar note, after reading a book, (title long forgotten), I once asked my late grandfather if he had ever come across any of the camps and if he had, was what I had been reading fact or fiction? We sat down and he said he would only tell me the once about what he had seen seen and come across. Turns out he was one of the first allied soldiers into one particular camp, Belsen or Buchenwald I cant remember which, suffice to say he still had nightmares about it 40 years later!

What happened must NEVER be forgotten from ALL sides.
    Politicing over and apologies for highjacking the thread.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

PS: Carl, (mod)
    I was typing as you added the above, feel free to remove/delete if you feel it is out of context with the original text/continuation.
    Ian, although your post is not related directly to this thread, it is at least connected to the experience of the concentration camp system - unlike some of the earlier posts. Regarding the concentration camp that your grandfather was at, it would have been KL-Bergen-Belsen, as KL-Buchenwald was liberated by US forces.

Regards,

Carl

I once was told by a fellow that the oven in Auschwitz were built by the SS to bake bread for the inmates and that all the talk about gas chambers was Zionist propaganda.

People believe what they want to believe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast