Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Barackenlager Hagibor

Article about: Whilst technically not a regular concentration camp, Barackenlager Hagibor, located in the eastern suburbs of Prague, was used between 1944-1945 as both a Durchgangslager (transit camp) and

?

Default Barackenlager Hagibor

Whilst technically not a regular concentration camp, Barackenlager Hagibor, located in the eastern suburbs of Prague, was used between 1944-1945 as both a Durchgangslager (transit camp) and forced labour facility. Many of those who eventually were sent to Theresienstadt were transfered from this camp.

During the early years of the occupation, the site was one of very few areas within the city that Jews were actually permitted to congregate - it was, for many years, a sports and recreation area. Even until 1943, elderly Jews were cared for at the former nursing home and Jewish hospital - shown in the image below as it stands today. The costs were covered by the Jewish community in Prague in addition to private donations. From August 1944 however, the premises were used for forced labour with the processing of mica among the activities.

Approximately 3,500 prisoners, mostly those from mixed marriages and non Jews who had refused to divorce their Jewish spouses, passed through the camp, which had an SS guard present. Ondřej Sekora, the well known writer of children's books was among those interned, due to his refusal to divorce his second wife, Ludmila Roubíčková, who was Jewish. Roubíčková later survived Theresienstadt. Meanwhile, her husband also survived, despite being sent to labour camps in Poland and Germany.

After the war, collaborators such as Gestapo informants, along with Romanians, Hungarians, Jewish refugees from Poland and also Czechs who had married Germans, were held at the site. Today, the former administration, kitchen and utility building is once again a home for elderly Jewish residents. The barracks, long since gone, were located nearby. A modern memorial stands on the location.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Barackenlager Hagibor   Barackenlager Hagibor  

Barackenlager Hagibor   Barackenlager Hagibor  

Last edited by CARL; 05-15-2016 at 09:58 PM.

Default re: Barackenlager Hagibor

Very interesting, thanks for posting, Carl

Maybe a listing of all the various German camp types and usage would be useful ie., describing the difference between Barrackenlager, Polenlager, Firmenlager, KL, etc
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    Very interesting, thanks for posting, Carl

Maybe a listing of all the various German camp types and usage would be useful ie., describing the difference between Barrackenlager, Polenlager, Firmenlager, KL, etc
    Thank you.

I agree, a list would indeed be useful. I actually started one such compendium some time ago, it is in one of my reference files somewhere. I didn't get around to completing it though, as I am often occupied with several projects simultaneously. There are approximately fifty types of lager to list and detail. Once time allows, I will try and get it completed.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. All the best for 2013, I hope that it is a happy, healthy and prosperous one for you.
    Last edited by CARL; 05-15-2016 at 09:59 PM.

Looks a pretty bleak area!...

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Looks a pretty bleak area!...
    Indeed it is Gunny. The eastern suburbs of Prague have some nice parts, yet this particular place has been left in the state visible in the images above. Some talk of late concerns development plans but there are whispers of irregular activity, so we will have to wait and see what happens with regards to that. What is important however, is that the former utility, administration and kitchen building was not neglected. There is also a beautiful memorial stone, images of which I shall add to the thread later, commemorating the people who suffered at this locale.

Regards,

Carl
    Last edited by CARL; 05-15-2016 at 10:00 PM.

?

Nice thread about a little known place of misery and suffering.

Very interesting bit of history. Thanks for posting. It is important that these places never be forgotten.

An interesting site for an almost unheard of camp! It's nice to see that it's once again been converted back to a proper and decent usage. Although...from the looks of the field condition, I'm thinking that the elderly Jewish residents don't make all that much use of the soccer nets.. What is/was the odd brick structure shown in the 1st photo?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    What is/was the odd brick structure shown in the 1st photo?
    Thank you gents. William, the photograph you refer to appears to be the remains of a junction box. I found an image taken several years ago, currently present on a Czech website, that appeared to show a few electrical fixtures and fittings, that led me to believe that was the purpose that the structure once served. The fittings have been removed in the meantime though, hence the bare unit shown above. This fixture, whatever it once did, is located near one of the former prisoner camp boundaries.

Regards,

Carl
    Last edited by CARL; 02-12-2014 at 08:38 PM.

?

Below is an image of the unveiling of the commemorative stone, noted earlier in the thread. The stone lies on the grounds of the former barracks area, adjacent to the work building shown earlier in the thread.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Barackenlager Hagibor  
    Last edited by CARL; 12-03-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast