Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Berlin - Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe

Article about: Located at Cora-Berliner-Straße, near the Brandenburg Gate and Reichstag, the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe covers 19,000 square metres and features some 2,711 stelae - concrete bl

I must admit that I can only agree with the critical voices here.

I had visited the memorial back in 2006 and must say that I strongly disliked it.

Just to make it clear: I do not object to the existence of such a memorial or to its size or cost (as many voices - not only from political right - did.) Yes, there absolutely should be such a memorial in Berlin and never mind the ground it covers and the money involved, but... Was an assemblage of angular concrete blocks really the best we could come up with?

The Dachau memorial site had a powerful emotional effect on me. The Pinkas synagogue in Prague - whose walls are inscribed with the names of 80,000 Holocaust victims from Bohemia and Moravia - no less so. Even the memorial in Vienna is effective.

But to me, the one in Berlin looked and felt like the storage yard of a building material manufacturer.

Guess you can tell that modern art is not exactly my thing.

Is there a significance to the number 2,711?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Is there a significance to the number 2,711?
    According to the FAQ section of the memorial's official flyer*, the number has no significance.

*) https://web.archive.org/web/20110101...er_deutsch.pdf
    (German language; the information is on page 4.)

I visited with my wife who is Jewish when we were in Berlin last year, in fact staying in a flat on the same street that it is off. She found it very moving and when you walk among the blocks it has an impact that you might not expect. IMO it does what it was mean't to do, it hits you.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thank you Jerry. Personally, I cannot abide modern art...never have done and never will do...ugly, plain buildings are not worthy of the soil they stand upon when compared to the spendour of the structures that surround us (those of us fortunate enough to live in this part of the world that is)...but this memorial simply is not about that...aesthetics are not the point here...remembrance is.

Carl

It is interesting, imposing. Stirs up a little controversy, so that in itself might have been one of its aims. I don't quite get the concept at a glance, blocks... and in the blocks in the camps I suppose. Sadly, I'll probably never see it in real life. Thx to all of you who make this site so educational, and for all of your hard work here. I could not recommend this site more.

PS I really should dig in my pockets a little and change the color of my status.

Quote by CARL88 View Post
    Thank you Jerry. Personally, I cannot abide modern art...never have done and never will do...ugly, plain buildings are not worthy of the soil they stand upon when compared to the spendour of the structures that surround us (those of us fortunate enough to live in this part of the world that is)...but this memorial simply is not about that...aesthetics are not the point here...remembrance is.

Carl
    This summer we were again in Berlin - my step mother in law has a flat there- and visited the Jewish museum which has section underground which is again a memorial which my wife hated, thinking it largely removed the Jews from the memorial in the same way the Nazi's had tried to do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Museum,_Berlin

This museum has also caused considerable controversy over its architecture.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    This summer we were again in Berlin - my step mother in law has a flat there- and visited the Jewish museum which has section underground which is again a memorial which my wife hated, thinking it largely removed the Jews from the memorial in the same way the Nazi's had tried to do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Museum,_Berlin

This museum has also caused considerable controversy over its architecture.
    I agree Jerry it is a bit of an odd place and i was surprised at the amount of security there, but it's a sad reminder of the amount of anti Semitism which still exists. One guard must have thought i looked a little suspect as he followed me for about 30 minutes!...

?

I visit Berlin quite frequently Guiding Tours and i must admit i agree with many of the comments made about the " Memorial " !! For me when i see people sunbathing on the blocks , eating , drinking , climbing etc etc this shows no respect , i can't think of it as a memorial just somewhere else for Tourists to hang around and take photos.

I'm afraid i'm a bit of a Traditionalist as far as things go regarding Memorials especially to crimes on this scale and believe that they should be thought provoking whilst making it clear that respect needs to be shown to the events and millions that they represent !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I saw it once and agree that its indeed an ugly sight. Modern art isn't for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3