Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency

Article about: The Dachau piece is a fantasy item. KL Dachau scrip had a totally different appearance. Later in the thread, I will show the correct format. The other examples are originals, with the Buchen

very useful information as ever.

?

Very interesting indeed Carl, I still need to learn a lot and this topic is definite helping!

Hi all , I know that images of the Theresienstadt currency are already shown here , but here is my recently completed collection(thanks to Carl b) that I have framed. Fear not chaps , the currency is not glued into the frame but held in place with non acidic photograph "corners" and will be hung in my dining room out of direct sunlight! Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency   Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency  

?

WESTERBORK

Located in the northeastern Dutch province of Drenthe, Westerbork served as a transit camp for Dutch Jews from 1942 to 1944. During these two years, almost 100,000 Jews were deported from the camp. Over 90% were sent to Auschwitz or Sobibor, where the majority were killed upon arrival.

Westerbork notes were produced in four denominations, namely 10, 25, 50 and 100 cents. The first two notes were blue/pink and red/brown respectively. The latter, blue/brown and green/brown. A printer's watermark can often be found on the notes - it reads "NORMAAL" and "VUGA". A large toothed wheel, surrounds a silhouette of the camp on the obverse of the note. The reverse repeats the denomination at the top left and bottom right, with "LAGER WESTERBORK GUTSCHEIN" in the upper central portion of the note.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency   Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency  

Last edited by CARL; 01-15-2014 at 05:19 PM.

?

HOLLEISCHEN

KZ-Aussenlager Holleischen was a sub-camp of KZ-Flossenbürg in Bavaria. Located near Plzen (Pilsen), in the southwest of occupied Czechoslovakia, the camp held up to 1,000 prisoners who worked at the nearby MWH (MetallwerkeHolleischen) munitions facility.

The small card tokens shown below were curiously created in seventeen denominations - from 1Rpf to 5RM. They all have the MWH logo design and come in various coloured card as shown.

The following threads address the camp:

AFTER THE BATTLE No.162 - MY ARTICLE ON HOLLEISCHEN

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/konzen...ischen-199265/
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency  

?

MITTELBAU-DORA

The Mittelbau-Dora paper chits were issued in nine different denominations - 0.01RM, 0.05RM, 0.10RM, 0.25RM, 0.50RM, 1RM, 2RM, 5RM and 10RM. All were made of thin paper, printed in different colours and share a format unique to the Mittelbau camp. The series number was printed on the reverse with the face of the note showing the serial letter. The words "ARBEITSLAGER MITTELBAU" are printed across the face of the note above a large circular area where the value was entered. The reverse bears a warning against counterfeiting and also explains the use of the note.

The camp is addressed in this thread:

KL-Mittelbau-Dora

I've been a collector of Third Reich militaria for a while and I've also collected coins/currency since I was a child but I've only recently begun to combine the two and got an interest in the camp and ghetto currency. I recently picked up a couple pieces. Both PMG and PCGS will grade and authenticate camp currency and I think it's worth submitting them if they are better grades.

?

Welcome to the forum Mothball. Two nice examples there, thank you for sharing them with us all.

Thank you Carl, I appreciate it. I was browsing ebay and found one of the fantasy Dachau notes you were talking about. I reported it yesterday and called them today and they seem reluctant to remove it. So much for the "buyer protection" they're always on about. Here it is if anyone wants to see it.

German WW2 Document 1 Reich Mark Note Dachau XX Elite Kantine Money RARE | eBay

Thanks, it's good to be here. Word to the wise, there is a fantasy 1 Reichsmark Dachau note in the style of Buchenwald notes just as Carl88 illustrated on ebay right now. Ebay refuses to remove the auction even though I both emailed them two days ago and called them yesterday providing information that the currency was fake. Apparently fake and counterfeit currency are permitted on ebay despite their "safety" team stating otherwise in the terms of use. BEWARE.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast