MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency

Article about: The Dachau piece is a fantasy item. KL Dachau scrip had a totally different appearance. Later in the thread, I will show the correct format. The other examples are originals, with the Buchen

?

Default Re: Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency

Quote by dan d View Post
    Carl,

Having assisted me on the WAF on my single piece of KL currency brought back by my father during the liberation of Buchenwald, I expressed my admiration of your knowledge on this subject then and after reading this post I am totally blown away after reading this thread on your in-depth knowledge regarding KL currency. Simply amazing.

Here is the Buchenwald 3RM note brought back by my father. Per Carl: Notice that this is the "vertical" leg variant as opposed to the "slant" leg type. The condition is VF as it has been in an album the last 50 years or longer. The top center dark spot is from the tape my father used to secure the currency - oh well!
    Thank you for your kind words Dan, I was glad to assist and you are indeed most welcome. Appreciate you adding your example to the thread too.

Regards,

Carl

?

Thanks for sharing, a nice piece indeed.

?

Now to address the currency used at Theresienstadt:

Firstly, a summary of the history, development and interesting story concerning the Theresienstadt notes can be read on the thread located here: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/histor...knotes-163669/

Despite the printed date showing January 1st 1943 being present on the examples produced, the notes did not actually enter circulation until May 1943. The sizes range from 100mm x 50mm (Eine Krone), to 150mm x 77mm (Hundert Kronen), with the three highest denominations (20, 50 and 100 Kronen notes) all bearing watermarks. The lower denominations are more common, especially the Eine and Zwei Kronen pieces. Probably the most finely detailed note of any ghetto or Konzentrationslager example produced, the detail is nothing short of superb, especially when viewed in hand.

Shown below is an image of the National Bank in Prague, the location where the Theresienstadt notes were produced.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency  

?

THERESIENSTADT: The lower denominations

1. Eine Krone
    2. Zwei Kronen
    3. Fünf Kronen
    4. Zehn Kronen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency   Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency  

Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency   Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency  

?

THERESIENSTADT: Complete set of all seven denominations

1-2. Full set of notes, including the watermarked 20, 50 and 100 Kronen examples
    3-4. Detailed views of the watermarkings
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency   Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency  

?

Another thread, also concerning the Theresienstadt currency:

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/photos...rrency-133189/

Thank you Carl for creating such an interesting thread on a little known matter.Also so interesting to see the fakes that are sadly around as well!! Leon.

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Thank you Carl for creating such an interesting thread on a little known matter.Also so interesting to see the fakes that are sadly around as well!! Leon.

Thank you for your kind words Leon, glad that the thread is of interest to you. The area is of particular interest to me, so during my research work when I began to uncover more and more details I decided to start the thread as there is a lack of reliable information out there. Hopefully, in time the thread will go some way to address that. Plenty more to come anyway!

Regards,

Carl

Quote by TIGER88 View Post

Thank you for your kind words Leon, glad that the thread is of interest to you. The area is of particular interest to me, so during my research work when I began to uncover more and more details I decided to start the thread as there is a lack of reliable information out there. Hopefully, in time the thread will go some way to address that. Plenty more to come anyway!

Regards,

Carl
    Not trying to "suck up" in any way Carl,but I personally really do appreciate your commitment to this area of history!! Takes a real sense of humanity at it's best(not worst!!)to even begin to tell the truth on these issues!! I for one salute you Sir!! Leon.

?

Reproduction and fantasy pieces - most of the examples that have been created thus far are rather easy to identify, once initial study of the authentic material has been undertaken. However, more recent efforts have resulted in some examples coming closer to the genuine notes and tokens. Below are some of the examples that are currently found on the market - with varying standards.

1-2. Auschwitz - both poor attempts to mislead. Neither pattern resemble originals of the camp in question.

3. Flossenbürg - copy of a second pattern note from the Flossenbürg Prämienschein range. Poorly done, using incorrect material with a ridiculous over stamp. The darker creased areas also indicate the false aging.

4. Buchenwald - probably the most common of reproduction examples and arguably the most difficult to spot. The flaws are highlighted earlier in the thread.

5. Oranienburg - another potentially dangerous piece for those without knowledge. This one often catches out buyers at markets throughout Europe. The design is another fantasy, again, this piece is explained earlier in the thread.

Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency  

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast