Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Concentration Camp Prisoner's Uniforms

Article about: Most of the uniforms were made in the textile workshops of some of the larger Konzentrationslagers, such as KL-Dachau, KL-Sachsenhausen or f.KL-Ravensbrück. The material differed slightly fr

Default Re: Concentration Camp Prisoner's Uniforms

Quote by Gernika81 View Post
    Ok. After some days of doing research on my garments, I got some very interesting answers from the curator of the Buchenwald KL museum, and I will share it with you all. I must say that Holm, the expert and curator of Buchenwald KL-Mittelbau-Dora museum is a very nice person, who helped me out with this issue desinterestedly. That being said, I must tell you all that I asked in 4 KL and museums about my garments' originality. I asked in Auschwitz museum, in Yad Vashem, in USHMM in Washington and in KL Buchenwald museum. Ok, first three couldn't help me with this so desperatedly I turned to KL Buchenwald museum and I exchanged some emails with Holm. I must say that the curator of the USHMM was also very nice but couldn't help me. He told me that I must turn to an expert in textiles. So yesterday I received an answer from Buchenwald. To my surprise, after sending photos of a pair of trousers (detailed photos) and from 3 of my jackets, I got a thumbs up on all of them. And what's more, I got the information of the former inmates who wore those garments! Look at the answer:

This time the clothes look very real. I spoke with a colleague about it, which also has no doubts as to the authenticity. From him originate the information on the detainees who have worn the clothes:

The prisoner jacket is a woman's jacket, to recognize the rounded collar points. The number 41731 was assigned in Ravensbrück concentration camp to the "political" Polin Ziemniak Helena, born in 1906. Ziemniak woman was in 1944 in Buchenwald satellite camp HASAG Leipzig. Number and angle probably have been (probably by the owner herself) applied subsequently.

The second jacket with the prisoner number 1504 belonged to the Buchenwald inmate Paul Herman Rohde, born 1896 in Elmshorn. The red bar on the angle stands for "politically backslide".

The pants are apparently real, but is missing the number on the right pant leg. There are at least discernible punctures etc. would be found.

So at least some experts gave me a thumbs up. That's great.

You must be pretty relieved to have had this confirmation from Buchenwald museum

Was Ms. Holm not concerned with the very odd stencil font on the "1504" patch?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Im still stuck on the patch adding theory,, after the liberation..and also the button holes differ on the jacket without the stripes as there are less button holes on the inmate wearing the jacket than the photo shown laid out.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The Ravensbruck prisoner number dataset I have from the Association of Former Ravensbruck Prisoners, Warsaw, Poland, shows inmate No.s: 41714 - 41731 were registered on 09.06.1944, they were Polish and classified as "różne" (various) rather than identified specifically as "political".

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    You must be pretty relieved to have had this confirmation from Buchenwald museum

Was Ms. Holm not concerned with the very odd stencil font on the "1504" patch?
    Hi. No, Holm didn't tell me anything about that. He didn't notice it or he passed on it because maybe he didn't see anything strange. It was not only the curator who examined the photos, but also another colleague who might work there or in another camp museum.

Quote by Gernika81 View Post
    Hi. No, Holm didn't tell me anything about that. He didn't notice it or he passed on it because maybe he didn't see anything strange. It was not only the curator who examined the photos, but also another colleague who might work there or in another camp museum.
    At least now you have some supportive comments from the KL Buchenwald museum to help you with the sale of them

What are you looking to replace them with? More uniforms pieces?

As you know my GMother was a prisoner at Ravensbruck so would be very interested to see a photo of the complete "41731 Ravensbrück uniform for the "political" Polin Ziemniak Helena" before it goes

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    At least now you have some supportive comments from the KL Buchenwald museum to help you with the sale of them

What are you looking to replace them with? More uniforms pieces?
    Yes, that's an important support if I want to sell them of course. An expert opinion is very valuable. To be honest, the curator was very direct. She didn't doubt a minute about the originality. I mean, she didn't tell me: hmmm, I have my doubts, maybe yes, maybe no... He was very explicit with the opinion on them.

One question. If they were classified as "różne" (various), that means that among them there were no political prisoners? Now that I think of that woman, maybe he took part in the Warsaw uprising. He was sent to Ravensbrück in 1944 the same year of that important event...

Many women who did take part in the Warsaw Rising 1944 were transported to Ravensbruck and other camps after the capitulation. But the 41714 to 41731 block of prisoners were registered in the camp in 06 June 1944 some months before the insurrection which started in August 1944.

Just realised that these particular prisoners were registered at Ravensbruck exactly 70 years ago tomorrow!
    Last edited by StefanM; 06-05-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Some of the variety of women prisoners' garb and number patches...no wonder authenticating a particular style of inmate clothing is so difficult at times.

Below women in the spinning workshop at KL Ravensbruck...

...note the large winkel and number patch is worn on the left sleeve of the clothing where it is not hidden by their work aprons.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Concentration Camp Prisoner's Uniforms   Concentration Camp Prisoner's Uniforms  

?

Link to an article published earlier this year, concerning colour images and footage taken at KZ-Dachau shortly after the liberation of the camp.

WARNING, LINK CONTAINS A GRAPHIC IMAGE!!!

The colour of darkness: Vivid pictures of first Nazi concentration camps give chilling insight into the dawn of the Holocaust | Mail Online

Thank you for the article link, the photos are fascinating on a number of levels.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast