Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Concentration Camp Uniform on Ebay

Article about: by Falschirmjager Looks too recent to me. I have seen parts from concentration camp uniforms such as the number sections and these were very soiled and thus displayed in frames and were very

Default Concentration Camp Uniform on Ebay

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this post belongs here or not but I came across something disturbing on ebay.
    WW2 Concentration Camp Uniform COMPLETE - eBay (item 130460950041 end time Dec-11-10 08:24:53 PST)

Now, it could very well be a fake, or a reproduction made for a film, but the person seems to be selling it as an original. The seller does seem to be aware of the historical significance of the uniform, so we can't fault them for that.

I was just curious what everyone's opinion is on something like this? Personally I think that if it is real, it really belongs in a museum and not a private collection. From what I have read, authentic camp uniforms are very rare due to the vast majority of them being burned when the camps were liberated to prevent the spread of disease.

Why an individual would want to collect items associated from such an abomination as the Holocaust is beyond me. I understand it's important to preserve such relics for future study, but I think this is a little too over the top.

Your thoughts?

Cheers!

Tim

ww2fotos
    ?

Default Re: Concentration Camp Uniform on Ebay

I am suspicious of the condition. It looks fresh-made, certainly not worn in a camp very long. And it was bought in Czechsolvakia - that's another red flag. There are a lot more collectors of this stuff than you would believe!

?

Made last week !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I agree Paul.....I think it looks too clean for something that was worn every day over 65 years ago.

?

All Im saying on this is "Star of David" arm band with red triangle on left breast!
    An "unusual" combination I think that instantly sets alarm bells ringing for me, plus the general overall condition, ie, "just off the manufacturers rail"

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Quote by Bravo 20 View Post
    I agree Paul.....I think it looks too clean for something that was worn every day over 65 years ago.
    Looks too recent to me. I have seen parts from concentration camp uniforms such as the number sections and these were very soiled and thus displayed in frames and were very expensive. Such items are very rare and to get anything like that complete even rarer. I wouldnt say that collecting such things is an abomination-we could say much the same for Swastika bearing items, Totenkopf insignia flashes, knives, deactivated weapons (the list is endless). I think as long as the individual collector appreciates the significance of what he has and respects it and teaches others of its history etc then i really cant see a problem with it.

Quote by Falschirmjager View Post
    Looks too recent to me. I have seen parts from concentration camp uniforms such as the number sections and these were very soiled and thus displayed in frames and were very expensive. Such items are very rare and to get anything like that complete even rarer. I wouldnt say that collecting such things is an abomination-we could say much the same for Swastika bearing items, Totenkopf insignia flashes, knives, deactivated weapons (the list is endless). I think as long as the individual collector appreciates the significance of what he has and respects it and teaches others of its history etc then i really cant see a problem with it.
    And what does the seller say in the description-"was swapped for a goat at a market" sorry couldnt resist that one!

Gents, have you checked his "other items".....he is also auctioning an insulator from the electric fence around Auschwitz ! (framed/mounted, of course !) "all in the worst possible taste", as cupid stunt would say !...he wants reporting to E-Bay, they will remove these distasteful items.
    Prost ! Steve.

Now that is really over the top! I have no doubt that the insulator is real....I was reading about the sympathetic restoration of the concrete wire pylons at Auschwitz and how several of them had to be totally rebuilt using the rough, pebbled concrete. However, an item like this really should not be sold at auction! Is nothing sacred??

This item is a fake copy, and the seller knows this i suspect...
    Collecting an original item from the Camps is no more an abomination than any ss item. Its part of the terribly sad tr history. Would rather see original Camp items in a private collection than some museum making money off it.

never forget
    Tim
    Last edited by Tim OKeefe; 12-03-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast