Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cut Star of David Patch & Other Items From Supposed Vet Estate

Article about: Hi guys! My friend who buys and sells guns called me today and told me an estate he was working on today had a couple of TR items and asked if I was interested. I drove over to the daughters

Default Cut Star of David Patch & Other Items From Supposed Vet Estate

Hi guys!

My friend who buys and sells guns called me today and told me an estate he was working on today had a couple of TR items and asked if I was interested. I drove over to the daughters house and said hi to my friend as he was leaving with his haul of guns. The daughter claims that her father brought these items home... but with any claim like that I take it with a grain of salt. The eagle looks to be good as does the armband. The Star tho I have never seen an original in person.. I know there were many different variants... I figured I'd just post it here and see what you guys thought. I hit it with the black light and absolutely no glow.

Thoughts?

Cut Star of David Patch & Other Items From Supposed Vet EstateCut Star of David Patch & Other Items From Supposed Vet EstateCut Star of David Patch & Other Items From Supposed Vet EstateCut Star of David Patch & Other Items From Supposed Vet EstateCut Star of David Patch & Other Items From Supposed Vet EstateCut Star of David Patch & Other Items From Supposed Vet EstateCut Star of David Patch & Other Items From Supposed Vet Estate

Matt, nice find. The star looks genuine. The Eagle is nice-not often seen, these bullion pieces.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

the star looks like it has been cut off a KZ jacket,all good stuff.

MAP
    ?

The Star is not something I would want in my collection. If real, to me, these items belong in a museum. But thats just me and not passing judgement on others.

I like the Eagle.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I have spent a few hours looking through images of KZ uniforms trying to find an example of this particular style of star in wear to no avail. I did however find this picture courtesy of the American Holocaust Museum that shows a KZ uniform made of the exact same cloth style as the remnant attached to he star. The search continues.

?

It could be you have one of the few original "star of david" in your hands. Interesting historical piece- it would be interesting if you could find out the service record of the one who brought this back. Maybe there is a microscopic chance to to find out which camp it came from. Maybe a letter or something is floating around aswell

I have asked the family for more information about his service. I am waiting on a call currently.

?

Debating the originality of said item - the Star of David, not the Adler or Kampfbinde, is what we should address and not whether or not the piece should be in a museum, which patently, would be the preference. For those interested, familiarise yourselves with the two threads below:

Konzentrationslagers Prisoner Identification Insignia

Concentration Camp Prisoner's Uniforms

The first thread addresses the various insignia issued to identify inmates within the KZ system, the second addresses the actual materials and methods of construction involved in manufacturing the uniforms worn by the prisoners.

Regards,

Carl

So Carl, is there any explanation for the Jude star to be found sewn to the KZ uniform material? It is my understanding, that the Yellow Jude/Juif/Jood/etc stars were for "home" use to identify a Jewish resident on the street from that of a Non-Jewish one. Once in the KZ system, all the images that i can locate show inmates with colored triangles sewn together to identify their reason for being there and so forth.
    In my opinion, the star looks genuine, but it is confusing to see it on Camp cloth? Were there any camps in the system that utilized the solid yellow Jude stars? It would hardly seem practical, as they would give no information other than the person being Jewish-which was pretty much assumed, since they were there to begin with. Shouldn't there also be a prisoner number beneath it? Although, as close cut as it is, there well may have been a number strip that is no longer with it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I believe there is a big chance the lack of supplies in the end of ww2 made it necessary to use any emblem they had in store. So i would believe the demorilized guards let the inmates sew on stars since the color code were most likely increasingly difficult to follow because of no cloth in right color.

Yes it is only a speculation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast