Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Dachau Concentration Camp.

Article about: Cheers Adrian a very interesting thread, I have visited a couple of camps in my time, Belsen & Auschwitz..Auschwitz was alittle different I went with the Army at the time & we were a

?

Default Re: Dachau Concentration Camp.

There are only two barrack blocks standing today. One of which has been reconstructed to show the conditions inside from three different times in the camp, 1933, 1938 and 1944

I apologise for the photos but there really isn't enough room inside to stand back and take photos that show it to full extent.

You will note as time progressed the living conditions became more and more cramped. The interior photos are in sequence from 1933-38-44. The last is of the day room.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dachau Concentration Camp.   Dachau Concentration Camp.  

Dachau Concentration Camp.   Dachau Concentration Camp.  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

At the far end of the camp road there are various places for different faiths to pray and pay respects, these are just a few. The white builds with greenish roofs beyond the camp wall is actually a Catholic Carmelite Convent.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dachau Concentration Camp.   Dachau Concentration Camp.  

?

Heading towards the crematorium now we pass through the perimeter fence. It has been partially reconstructed to show it as it was when the camp was operational.

I was there in December and it was such a nice day that, try as I might, I couldn't get any sense of dread or foreboding. Mind you the ovens had me swearing under my breath and the slide shute around the back of the crematorium had me wondering if it was a coal shute or something more sinister.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dachau Concentration Camp.  

?

Thanks for posting these pics and info.
    I think they are important to post amongst all the other relics.
    I went to Buchenwald and then years later visited Auschwitz-Birkenau (both camps there).
    Although Auschwitz is THE KZ and gets the most attention from the public, Buchenwald made a greater impression on me. I guess, because it was the first I saw and because I was a kid.
    Terrible to say, but after a while wandering around Auschwitz, the piles of suitcases, glasses and hair looked pretty much the same as in Buchenwald.
    As in Dachau, the gas chamber has also been reconstructed in Auschwitz, as it was destroyed during WWII.
    None the less, it was a strange feeling standing at the tracks leading into Auschwitz KZ and seeing the main gate both in Auschwitz and Birkenau, after having seen so many pics and having read so much about it.

?

Passing through the perimeter fence and over the Wurm Canal you enter the crematorium area.

You pass by the Memorial Stone, the Monument to the Unkown Prisoner before ending up at the old crematorium. This was replaced by the new building when it was working beyond it's capacity.

?

You then walk through to the new crematorium.

?

The first part you go to are the disinfecting chambers. Prisoners clothes were hung in these and Zyklon B gas was used to rid the garments of parasites.

?

The next areas you visit are the waiting room and disrobing room.

?

You then enter the Gas Chamber.

The chutes on the wall that you can see daylight through are were the canisters of Zyklon B would be pushed through. There is an outside shot showing these on the exterior of the building.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast