Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Gardelegen war crime

Article about: I recently acquired the photo below which features a group of former Polish forced labourers standing in front of a large sign board that was put up by US liberation forces to commemorate th

Default Gardelegen war crime

I recently acquired the photo below which features a group of former Polish forced labourers standing in front of a large sign board that was put up by US liberation forces to commemorate the Gardelegen war crime in which 1,016 slave laborers were burned alive in a barn or shot to death whilst trying to escape the conflagration. The photo is dated on the reverse 10 May 1945—a little over one month after the German atrocity occurred.

Gardelegen war crime

Below: a closeup of the sign board in English. The man on the left can be seen still wearing his mandatory letter "P" diamond shaped patch on the right on his jacket that identified Polish forced workers from the German population.

Gardelegen war crime

The war crime was discovered two days after it happened by F Company, 2nd Battalion, 405th Regiment, U.S. 102nd Infantry Division when the U.S. Army occupied the area.

Gardelegen war crime

Above: Some of the victims of the Gardelegen war crime. A further collection of photographs can be found at the USHMM: Gardelegen war crime

Gardelegen war crime

Above: Under the direction of an American soldier, German civilians from Gardelegen carry wooden crosses to the site where they were ordered to bury the bodies of concentration camp prisoners killed by the SS in a barn just outside the town.

The official website of Gardelegen city:

CITY GARDELEGEN - History / Memorial Place / Historic events
    Last edited by StefanM; 07-22-2013 at 12:04 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Default Re: Gardelegen war crime

Master Race... Sure! And even today some people deny these atrocities ever happened and support Nazism... Oh the humanity...

?

Aussenlager Ellrich-Juliushütte - see here: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/konzen...huette-282232/ was the largest of the Mittelbau-Dora sub-camps and had one of the highest mortality rates among the entire Konzentrationslager system. It was one of two sub-camps located at Ellrich near Nordhausen and was an atrocious example of the barbarity present at the time. Some of the prisoners who endured the terrible conditions at the camp were among those who later perished at Gardelegen - even leaving the hellish camp behind them, they still had to endure the worst that mankind can offer. Truly horrific.

Thank you for posting.

Regards,

Carl

Another photo of the cemetery...
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gardelegen war crime  

?

Interesting read, thank you for posting.

After decades of research historians have discovered that there were THOUSANDS more sites like this, large and small all over Eastern Europe. The true number of innocent people, Starved to death, worked to death in labor camps, shot down in fields, ravines, town squares by the so called "Master Race" will never be known for sure. Whatever it was we must try to be sure it never happens again.

“God did not create evil. Just as darkness is the absence of light, evil is the absence of God.”
    ― Albert Einstein
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

I have just recently came back from a visit to Vilnius, Lithuania where I have visited several places of mass murder. I will be writing a small article on this later. Sadly there are, as mentioned before, many many more sites. Best we can do is making sure those who perished are not forgotten.