Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Gusen Camps

Article about: Although the name Mauthausen is well known throughout the world, outside of those who study the Holocaust there are few who have even heard of the Gusen Konzentrationslagers, despite their d

Dom
    ?

Quote by CARL88 View Post

And thank you to Dom for adding the period images, always a welcome augmentation.
    With pleasure, I often read your threads

I've known a few people deported to Mauthausen and other Kommandos . Gusen was hell in the nebula Mauthausen .

Us soldiers obliged Austrian civilian to bury the corpses
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Gusen Camps   The Gusen Camps  

Dom
    ?

In front of the humanitarian catastrophe and respond to risks of a pandemic , Us Army decides to burn Gusen I and II in May 1945.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Gusen Camps  

Once again , thank you Carl for this very informative thread. I cannot believe people want to live in a house where so many innocent souls passed through on their way to either a life of misery or death? Thanks also to Dom for the period photographs , they are good to see alongside Carls excellent research. Leon.

?

Thank you Leon. Below is an additional view of the remains of one of the former structures at Gusen-II. This foundation is all that is left of the former SS shelter that was located just outside the Häftlingslager.

?

The Gusen crematorium is currently closed due to safeguarding measures, part of the restoration plan for the exhibition. March/April should see the exhibition open again.

I too am absolutely flabbergasted that people would chose to live at the site of such ghastly and horrific events. It's amazing what humans can rationalize. I must say that if anyplace would be haunted by restless spirits it would be places such as these camps. Living on these sites is just shameful.

?

Two postal items related to the former Gusen camps:

1) A letter written by a Polish teenager imprisoned at the camp. The letter content includes typical generic phrases such as thanks to relatives for their recent letters and a statement of his good health - a directive that was instigated by the SS and instructed to all concentration camp inmates.

2) An official cover that contained a letter written by another former Gusen inmate. Along with the censorship markings, note the adjustment (St.Georgen / Gusen).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Gusen Camps   The Gusen Camps  

HI,
    I don't know if this is off topic, but this is a young (age 22) italian partisan that died at Gusen camp

?

Today, May 5th, marks the anniversary of the liberation of the majority of the camps within the Mauthausen camp system. US forces liberated virtually the entire camp complex on 5th May 1945 - the camps at Loiblpass were reached later.

?

Link to a new thread addressing the liberation anniversary events taking place today:

Never A Number - Forever Human

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast