Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Gusen-II

Article about: The Gusen Camps Within the Mauthausen camp system, the Gusen camps were among the largest and of patent notability. Gusen-I construction began as early as December 1939, with eventual establ

?

Default Gusen-II

The Gusen Camps

Within the Mauthausen camp system, the Gusen camps were among the largest and of patent notability. Gusen-I construction began as early as December 1939, with eventual establishment coming the following spring. The main sub-camp at Gusen added two further satellites during 1944 - a year which saw countless satellite camps and external work details established throughout the entire KZ system. The two new camps were called Gusen-II and Gusen-III.

Gusen-III, often regarded as a depot-camp, held approximately 260 inmates who worked in a Messerschmitt materials depot in addition to work detail at a brick manufacturing facility - the entire Mauthausen-Gusen camp system was directly associated with the massive stone quarry network located within the area. The camp opened toward the end of 1944, closing during the spring of 1945 when the Mauthausen-Gusen camps were liberated by US forces.

Gusen-II

Gusen-II was a much larger concern than Gusen-III, with some 10,000 or so prisoners working within the Messerschmitt and Steyr-Daimler-Puck plants. Located on the St.Georgen Road, it was operational from early spring 1944. Again, it existed until discovered in the spring of 1945.

Gusen-II Today

Very little remains extent today - unless one is willing and able to study the former site prior to a visit to the area, nothing would be seen at all. The only remains clearly visible today are of a former SS shelter that stood toward one end of the external boundary of the Gusen-II camp.

1) Modern dwellings now stand on the grounds of the former barracks camp at Gusen-II.

2) The remains of the SS shelter.

3) A plan of the former camp, Gusen-II. The plan was created using a period overhead image taken by allied reconnaissance aircraft for reference - the Gusen camps and their surroundings were the focus of numerous such study flights yet never became a target for allied bombing raids.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gusen-II   Gusen-II  

Gusen-II  

?

The Gusen camps were also addressed in the thread linked below:

The Gusen Camps

?

QUOTE=CARL; Very little remains extent today - unless one is willing and able to study the former site prior to a visit to the area, nothing would be seen at all. The only remains clearly visible today are of a former SS shelter that stood toward one end of the external boundary of the Gusen-II camp.

Hello Carl - Actually, there are still many remnants of all the Gusen camps left behind - and as you mention, one must invest a lot of time and research to know where to find them. When I was there last - back in 2012 [?] - my Wife and I came across many of these remnants, and took many photos. Some day, I will try to post some of these photos - in effort to further enhance your commentary. Some of the sites are not easy to find - but are rather impressive, when one considers how involved the history is for this site. I have heard, since our visit to the region, that is now possible to gain entry to the Bergkristall tunnel complex - that had a direct connection to the Gusen II establishment. You can even see some the amateur videos on YouTube, of some these visits. Back in 2012 [?], I did manage to gain access to the tunnel complex - but was not properly prepared, and did not follow through with my aspirations. Some day I intend to return - and maybe at that time, will have the opportunity to try again [with a guided-tour, of course!]. I know Geoff Walden made it on one of those tours - and he can certainly tell much about some of the other bits-and-pieces one can find there, still today. One thing I would mention to anyone going to that site, would be to first read this book - it contains all kinds of information for what was once there, and can still be found today . . . and perhaps, contact the Author - as he lives nearby, and has a vast knowledge for the site. Here are a few other photos from the Gusen complex, of which I have come across over the years - and you might find equally interesting for your discussion . . .

Gusen-II   Gusen-II  

Gusen-II  

?

Of Gusen-II barrack camp, which I refer to above, very little remains.

Gusen-I and the tunnel complex is an entirely different matter. My personal study trips to the Mauthausen-Gusen site have been conducted in great detail, as I patently do with all similar visits.

Thank you for the augmentation, always good to see the period images.

Carl

Bravo, dear colleague, superb material and very chilling photos of the guard personnel.

?

[B][QUOTE=CARL -[/B] Of Gusen-II barrack camp, which I refer to above, very little remains. Gusen-I and the tunnel complex is an entirely different matter. My personal study trips to the Mauthausen-Gusen site have been conducted in great detail, as I patently do with all similar visits. Thank you for the augmentation, always good to see the period images.

Fair enough, Carl - no problem. Strange thing is, I had no trouble finding many remnants associated with the Gusen II complex when I was last there - perhaps in the past few years, these have all been removed? Reading the book helped greatly, as some of the sites remain far off the beaten-path - and not easy to find. As you know, Gusen II was established in St. Georgen - where the Bergkristall tunnel complex remains, still to this day. Gusen I was located between St. Georgen and the Mauthausen establishment - and of it, a significant amount of the sites still remain [or at least did when I last visited!]. As a matter of fact, the photographs I posted previously, are actually associated with the Gusen I complex - and not that of Gusen II. My apologies for any confusion. I suppose you are correct, that the "barrack-camp" at Gusen II no longer exists - but to say very little remains of the entire Gusen II site would be an understatement. That was a huge complex . . . and shame of the matter is, many people who discover the site in St. Georgen, are told [or assume] that there is not much left to see - and never make the effort to do so. Even the Museum, established at the remains of Gusen I crematoria, does very little to point this site out to visitors. But to say "nothing remains" is not entirely true - and as you pointed out, with much research and patience, there rests ones ability in finding those things that are thought to be gone with time - and not easily recognized today. When time permits [which seems for me, to be excessively fleeting!] - I will do my best to post photos of my findings in the St. Georgen area . . . and although that visit was not that long ago - I think it will be interesting to discover if any of these remnants have met up with there final destruction. Unfortunate for us who love to study the past, that did seem to be general consensus of the local population in St. Georgen - to tear it all away from the face of the Earth, and leave nothing behind to remember it by.

?

"Reading the book helped greatly, as some of the sites remain far off the beaten-path - and not easy to find."

One of my main sources for pre-study visit research was my personal contact with the author.

"Gusen I was located between St. Georgen and the Mauthausen establishment - and of it, a significant amount of the sites still remain [or at least did when I last visited!]."

Fortunately, that is still the case. A number of structures remain extent. The Gedenkstätte Mauthausen-Gusen Internet site has a fine feature related to the location of the former buildings.

"As a matter of fact, the photographs I posted previously, are actually associated with the Gusen I complex - and not that of Gusen II. My apologies for any confusion."

No need to apologise...thank you again for the augmentation - period images always aid the text.

?

Today, May 5th, marks the anniversary of the liberation of the majority of the camps within the Mauthausen camp system. US forces liberated virtually the entire camp complex on 5th May 1945 - the camps at Loiblpass were reached later.

Gusen-II  

Well done, Carl, thanks for your fine stewardship of our site and your superb research. Greetings to the Bohemian Pusta!