Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Holocaust related movies

Article about: Yes Gunny, it is indeed a very well produced work - and accurate portrayal of the Sonderkommando at Auschwitz-II, Birkenau. I highly recommend the Nyiszli book too, which the film was based

Default Re: Holocaust related movies

What a great thread, thanks to all for contributing. There are many films here that I was unaware of, I'll be making sure I see some of these.

Default Re: Holocaust related movies

'The Boat Is Full'- Switzerland 1981 A small group of Jewish prisoners escape from a train and try to get refugee status in Switzerland-dark and bleak exposure of Swiss govt attitudes during the war.

?

Another, lesser known film is "The Memory Thief", a drama by Gil Kofman (2007). The film tells the story of a lonely young American man who works as a tollbooth operator. His growing obsession with the Holocaust and in particular, interviews with survivors, leads to a mental breakdown. Jeannette Catsoulis, writing for the New York Times called it a "strange and melancholy journey to the heart of madness".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Holocaust related movies  

I thoughts Schindlers list was a fantastic film, not graphic enough to disgust people but made a lot of people think about the actual reality of war and especially the holocaust, class film
    Ben

Quote by meyle77 View Post
    Pianist about Szpilman and Europa Europa.
    The Pianist (2002) - IMDb
    Yup i enjoyed that one!...

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    I thoughts Schindlers list was a fantastic film, not graphic enough to disgust people but made a lot of people think about the actual reality of war and especially the holocaust, class film
    I completely agree Ben, a fantastic film. It's attention to detail was absolutely impeccable. What I've always appreciated is how the producer utilized the vibrant red in a all black in white film to emphasize the innocent young girls dress; once when Schindler sees her for the first time, and finally when he sees her lifeless body being thrown into a burning pit of humans.
    Personally, I always interpreted that moment to be Schindler's final epiphany persee. The viewer can truly see for the first time the anguish and disgust within his eyes; it's quite the enduring scene if you ask me.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 11-10-2013 at 03:29 AM.

Default Defiance - BBC iPlayer

For those of you with BBC iPlayer access :-

Defiance ... [only until 14th November]

BBC iPlayer - Defiance

Adam Resurrected was quite a good film. It deals more with the physiological aftermath of the holocaust but has numerous flashbacks to his time in the camps.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Holocaust related movies  

This brings to mind the German 1977 film Aus einem deutschen Leben. Starring well-known German actor Götz George (son of Heinrich George, by the way), it is the film adapation of La mort est mon métier [Published in Germany as Der Tod ist mein Beruf].

A slightly fictionalized biography of Auschwitz commandant Rudolf Höß, (here called Franz Lang), this is a rather gripping psychological study of one man's journey into becoming an industrialized mass murderer, mostly from a perverted sense of duty with an unquestioning belief in the principle of order and obeyance, combined with a misguided sense of patriotism and a bit of careerism.

The film differs from most of the others mentioned above as it is fully told from the perspective of a perpetrator (or rather, from a perspective accompanying said perpetrator).

See:
    Aus einem deutschen Leben (DE 1976/1977) - Deutscher Trailer - YouTube
    Death Is My Trade (1977) - IMDb
    Aus einem deutschen Leben

Another Holocaust-related film starring Götz George is the fictional Mengele-in-court drama Nichts als die Wahrheit [English title After the Truth] made in 1999.

See:
    After the Truth - Clip: The Return of Mengele - YouTube
    Nichts als die Wahrheit (1999) - IMDb
    After the Truth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast