Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Kaufering 7 Dachau sub camp

Article about: by mattty01 Do you know if any camps have any plans in 2015 for the 70 year anniversary of the liberations? All of the museums located at the former main concentration camps, will undoubtedl

?

Seems comparable to the diagram I have Matty. Mine was created using another source but the locales seem to match up in a fairly similar manner.

Hi Carl, the places plotted are about as accurate as possible. Forget my original picture of the gates as that appears wrong (within a few hundred yards) the band of brothers camp kaufering 4 seems to be located just behind the trees in the picture of the watchtower. I did ask the locals about certain camps whilst trying to find Dachau, but one thing ive learnt, when in Germany never ask anybody where a certain camp is, it never ends well. Its a subject they just don't talk about.

Best matty

thank you all for the link.

Thankyou Harry, just trying to get the old conversation flowing buddy,

best wishes matty

?

Although a different camp to the one featured in this thread, of interest is the use of semi-underground barracks at Waldlager-VI (forest camp 6) - one of the system of camps attributed to KZ-Aussenlager Mühldorf, another sub-camp system of KZ-Dachau located near Ampfing.

The images below show a photograph taken in 1945, together with a diagram of an accommodation barrack, shown to augment.

Points as follows:

1) Earth
    2) Support structure
    3) Support for roof
    4) Fireplace
    5) Sleeping levels
    6) (not shown) - central walkway
    7) Roof, covered in earth

CREDIT - Geschichtswerkstatt.de
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kaufering 7 Dachau sub camp   Kaufering 7 Dachau sub camp  

?

These semi-underground prisoner accommodation dwellings, used at locales such as Kaufering-VII and Mühldorf-Waldlager-VI, were totally inadequate. Not only did they let in the rain and snow, they also became home to vermin. Alternative accommodation facilities, also hastily constructed by the first prisoners to arrive at these sites, included a form of tent, constructed of very thin plywood boards. These also, were of little protection or comfort for those confined within.

Quote by CARL88 View Post
    Although a different camp to the one featured in this thread, of interest is the use of semi-underground barracks at Waldlager-VI (forest camp 6) - one of the system of camps attributed to KZ-Aussenlager Mühldorf, another sub-camp system of KZ-Dachau located near Ampfing.

The images below show a photograph taken in 1945, together with a diagram of an accommodation barrack, shown to augment.

Points as follows:

1) Earth
    2) Support structure
    3) Support for roof
    4) Fireplace
    5) Sleeping levels
    6) (not shown) - central walkway
    7) Roof, covered in earth

CREDIT - Geschichtswerkstatt.de
    Jeez imagine "living" in that!...

Hi Carl, Thankyou for adding to the thread its very interesting to read. Im gonna ask you as I know your the man to ask. Whilst I was at Dachau, they spoke about a sub camp which was partially underground that made the lastest high speed geman aeroplanes. I think they had to go underground to escape allied bombings. Do you know of such a place or whether any of it still exists?
    The other sub camp of dachau meantioned was allach which was where they made the beautiful SS porcelain. Does any of that still exist or is it all long gone ?
    Best wishes matty

?

Hi Matty, thanks for your kind words, I appreciate it.

Allach, located in the northwestern suburbs of München, lies several kilometers from the Dachau site. The official name of the camp was München-Allach (Porzellanmanufaktur), or, alternatively, it was referred to as München (Porzellanmanufaktur). Ceramics were produced for everyday use, in addition to the high end pieces known throughout the collecting world. Production was transferred to the site during 1937. In the early war period, only a small group of around 20 prisoners worked at the site - Germans and Poles. These were brought to and from the main camp on a daily basis. Later, during late spring 1941, another small group of prisoners, this time highly skilled porcelain manufacturers, arrived at the site from KZ-Buchenwald and the sub-camp at München-Allach was then officially established. By the end of the year, around 70 civilian workers and 30 concentration camp prisoners were detailed at the factory. The final mention of the sub-camp was noted within the Dachau files in late April, 1945. Whilst there are images of the liberation available on the Internet, I have not seen any sign of contemporary reminders of the camp, although it is not one I have actively searched for within my research.

Interestingly, another Allach sub-camp, SS-Arbeits-und Krankenlager München-Allach (SS-Work and Hospital Camp Munich-Allach, is noted in the Dachau main camp files briefly, during April 1945. An unknown number of women were present at the site.

There were indeed several sites where the jet aircraft were produced in underground facilities, such as at Gusen-II (see link below), although the site referred to during your tour of the main camp would be Mühldorf. There, the construction facilities were never finished. Some of the concrete arches are present today, as are remains of various structures in the vicinity. Thousands of forced labourers, supplied by the Mühldorf camp, died during the construction process, which the organisers continued with despite the patent lack of influence the project would ultimately have on the war.

The recent image below, shows one of the seven partially completed arches - twelve were originally planned.

IMAGE CREDIT - F.Peter Blank

The Gusen Camps
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kaufering 7 Dachau sub camp  

Hi Carl, thankyou for clearing that one up I will google the camp in a moment and see what comes up.
    Seems we would have stayed closeby which is a shame as its nice to see everything whilst out that way. My wife isn't as 'passionate' about the ww2 subject so not sure if she'll want to return for a while. Last july we stayed near furstenfeldbruck, which just 'happen' to be in the middle of the reich attractions with Nuremberg an hour away, dachau next door, landsberg prison, munich etc etc lol . I explained to my wife it was just a 'coincidence' that we were based where we were as one could never plan such an event........ I had a great week anyway!
    Do you know if any camps have any plans in 2015 for the 70 year anniversary of the liberations?
    We are visiting Normandy for the 70 year anniversary of D-day this year. In exchange I have agreed to a holiday in spain early July to please the 'powers that be'. If anybody sees a big fat bald bloke laying on the beach in spain looking pissed off it will be me 'doing my bit'.
    best matty

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast