Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Kaufering 7 Dachau sub camp

Article about: by mattty01 Do you know if any camps have any plans in 2015 for the 70 year anniversary of the liberations? All of the museums located at the former main concentration camps, will undoubtedl

?

Quote by mattty01 View Post
    Do you know if any camps have any plans in 2015 for the 70 year anniversary of the liberations?
    All of the museums located at the former main concentration camps, will undoubtedly mark the anniversary. Many of the smaller camps too. For example Holýšov, location of the camp I covered recently (KZ-Aussenlager Holleischen, sub-camp of KZ-Flossenbürg), for After The Battle magazine, have annual events which include visits by some of the Allied veterans who arrived shortly after the liberation. The events generally start later this month, with International Holocaust Memorial Day - held on the anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz camps.

Thankyou carl. If you do learn of any events for the liberation anniversarys could you let us know, even better start a thread?

I would be interested in Dachau, I read a really good book/diary on the liberation of this place called 'Dachau 29 April 1945: The Rainbow Liberation Memoirs'.

Best matty

?

You're welcome Matty, no trouble at all. The best thing to do is to contact the museum directly. The staff at Dachau are helpful, I am sure they will assist in whatever way they can. I know last year, they had a meeting and talk planned at the site, followed by a luncheon if I remember correctly, which was located nearby. There, veterans and survivors met and shared their stories. That sort of format is the general manner in which these commemorative events tend to take place. I mark the dates by posting on threads related to some of the camps too, just to raise awareness.

Ok Carl sounds great. My plan Is to get round some more camps next year. This is the map I will be following but I have no idea where to start.
    Major Nazi camps in Europe, January 1944
    Any particular ones what stand out for you personally?
    matty

?

Well, having visited many such sites, I would suggest that you decide which ones in particular you really want to see Matty. Some of those on the map have very little or nothing left, whilst others still present numerous points of interest. It really depends what you want exactly you want to experience when you visit, be it simply walking the former grounds or studying the anatomy of such a site.

Really Carl the better preserved ones. The only one which would have meant something to me would have been belson but I understand it is long gone anyway. Maybe Il pop by and see the memorial whilsts passing though.
    I was thinking heading through Germany, and seeing Buchenwald would be good. Mauthausen or flossenbuerg would also be good.
    I missed natzweiller struthoff (east france) sadly, drove right past it and didn't know it was there until I got home! bugger.
    A guy at a militaria fair said madanjek in Poland he found very interesting too. I hadn't heard of it until then, but seems it is very well preserved.

?

Indeed, Bergen-Belsen has long since gone. Although I have visited many more sites, I have addressed a few of the major camps on the forum. A brief look at some of the threads below will give you an indication of what is still there. Other major camps covered by members of the forum are included in the list.

Pity that you missed Natzweiler-Struthof, it is very well presented and together with the quarry camp and early Struthof site, makes for an interesting visit. As mentioned in your post above, Lublin-Majdanek has plenty of original material to see, as does Mauthausen and of course, the camps within the Auschwitz system, especially the Stammlager (main camp) and Auschwitz-II, Birkenau.

Return to Auschwitz

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/konzen...nowitz-365565/

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/konzen...henwald-89550/

KZ Dachau Visit 16-02-2013

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/konzen...nbuerg-291054/

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/konzen...s-rosen-87730/

The Gusen Camps

KL-Herzogenbusch

KZ Mauthausen

KL-Mittelbau-Dora

Largest KL in France - Natzweiler-Struthof

Neuengamme concentration camp, then and now

Plaszow Concentration Camp

Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp..

Theresienstadt

Wow Carl, am I right in saying theres not so much to see at Flossenbürg,Herzogenbusch and plaszow?

One thing I didn't know was there was an Auschwitz 3. I watched an awesome 6 part documentary on Auschwitz and auschwitz birkenal available on amazon if you haven't seen it; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Auschwitz-Th.../dp/B0006FNXNA but surprisingly there was no meantion of it even on there.

I suppose Auschwitz is always high on everybodys agenda but looking through your list id also like to see Buchenwald, mauthausen, natweiler struthoff, sachsenhausen, theresienstadt and grob rosen.

They had a very interesting program on TV over Christmas digging the main site of Treblinka to see what evidence they could find of its existence. They did well, they mapped out where the chambers would have been etc etc. Found some very sad relics.
    Im not sure if you would have seen it where you are?

regards matty

?

Plaszow was completely flattened before the Soviets arrived. Some barracks were actually transported to Gross-Rosen by train. The only remaining structures are the "Grey House" (the former SS prison building shown in the thread) and the former home of Amon Göth. A few ruins and abandoned structures are present near the former entrance area but little else.

There is still quite a bit to see at Flossenbürg - the Kommandantur building, SS-Kantine, transformer station, bath house and kitchen block are all present, as is the crematorium facility, sections of fencing and several original watch towers. Remains of the Arrestbau are also still there. Just outside the camp, the former DEST administration building still stands as do several former structures used during the period.

Herzogenbusch is a different story though, as much that is there has been reconstructed. It is however, very well presented.

I am aware of the recent study at Treblinka and have seen the series on Auschwitz that you mentioned earlier, thanks.

Regards,

Carl

Here ya go buddy, you will be able to view it here too.

Treblinka: Inside Hitler's Secret Death Camp | Channel 5

Shame about Plaszow, would have been nice to see. I misinterpreted Flossenburg sounds like it would be well worth seeing.

Herzogenbusch, looks like it would be a reasonably easy one to get to from the uk as well as breendonk.

best matty

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast