Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

KL-Lublin

Article about: THE MAIN EVENTS: The summer of 1941 saw another major concentration camp establishment order, with the location chosen being that of the southeastern sector of the occupied Polish city of Lu

Liebenschel was Commandant of Lublin/Majdanek from 19 May 1944 to 22 July 1944.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by octavian View Post
    Howdy Carl been a minute. Got a question for you and the forum

when i was reading this most interesting post i saw the picture of Arthur Liebehenschel. Now, when exactly did he rule as the Kommandant of KL-Lublin? Im trying to piece together his timeline, without using Wiki (lol). I did not know he had anything to do with KL-Lublin since he was known for his stint at Auschwitz. Thanks -brian
    Thank you Brian. Arthur Liebehenschel took control of KL-Lublin following the six month rule of Martin Weiß, which ended in early May 1944. Liebehenschel then oversaw the camp until it was abandoned in late July 1944.

You are indeed correct when you mention his role at Auschwitz. He succeeded Rudolf Höß in November 1943, remaining in charge until May 1944, after which, he transferred to Lublin.

Ahhh! Thanks carl. That puts more of the timeline in perspective. thanks again and keep up the interesting posts. Always find them most interesting.

?

Glad you find the threads of interest Brian. God willing, there will be plenty more to come.

?

This commemorative stamp was issued in 1946 - note the macabre design.

(NOTE - translation reads "Majdanek Death Camp 1941-44")
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KL-Lublin  

Indeed a chilling design for a stamp!.....

?

Trawniki, addressed here:

Trawniki

?

Today, 23rd July 2015, marks the 71st anniversary of the liberation of KL-Lublin.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KL-Lublin   KL-Lublin  

KL-Lublin  

?

The night of 22nd-23rd of July 2016 marks the 72nd anniversary of the liberation of Konzentrationslager Lublin. The camp was the first major concentration camp to be liberated and was found virtually intact by the Soviet forces who discovered it.

Sorry Carl only just saw this.

Why was this camp liberated so late? Given its geographical location in my mind this would have been one of the first camps the Russians would have came onto?

From what I understand the others in Poland situated further west were liberated some months in advance, its almost like this camp was somehow missed.

best rgds matt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast