Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

KZ-Außenlager Ebensee, project "Zement"

Article about: Hello friends, I wanted to add some additional information from the region I am living. The history of the town is often described as dark, most of what happened is not allowed to be talked

?

This thread addresses the Gusen camps:

The Gusen Camps

?

A very interesting and thought provoking thread...Appreciate all the information provided by the other members too...Gwar

I used to have a small hand-made Ebensee camp badge, will see if I still have photos of it before I parted with it.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

...found it

KZ-Außenlager Ebensee, project "Zement"

Most likely made to wear after liberation from the camp.

?

That is an interesting piece Stefan. Any information to go with this item? I have seen small forms of insignia worn after liberation before, this is a new one for me though. Appears to have been made from bits of scrap metal - in all likelihood, from the production facilities located within the underground system at Ebensee.

Quote by CARL88 View Post
    That is an interesting piece Stefan. Any information to go with this item? I have seen small forms of insignia worn after liberation before, this is a new one for me though. Appears to have been made from bits of scrap metal - in all likelihood, from the production facilities located within the underground system at Ebensee.
    Afraid not Carl it was a curiosity. I had never seen another one when I owned it or since. It was cut out from tin or thin metal although could it have been acid etched? Was this process used in instrumentation manufacture or some other equipment being made at the camp factories?
    Last edited by StefanM; 01-07-2014 at 06:27 PM.

WOW!!! great information. I learn something every day from the forum.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

xxx

Quote by johnhmcgary View Post
    Are the tunnels still there? It would be a great place to wander around......if it's safe Thanks for the info and pics. John
    When I was there last - almost one year prior to the date you proposed this question [9-14-2008] - Yes, they were still there.
    Inside one tunnel [not the "tour" tunnel - it was closed], we came across a few local inhabitants from the village . . . they were collecting lead from target-practice - something we were told is often conducted by the locals, at the end of that specific tunnel.
    That is one eerie place to visit - especially on a weekday, when nobody is [assumedly] home . . . we felt, and knew, people were aware and watching us walk around the village, the area around what is left of the tunnels, and in the memorial cemetery. There is definitely some truth behind what "pzb14" mentions - "The history of the town is often described as dark, most of what happened is not allowed to be talked about" . . . for what very few people we encountered, they were quick to disappear - as if they knew why we were there, and didn't want to be seen or talked to. To this day, my Wife and I still talk about the creepy feeling we got while being there.

?

Another of the numerous Mauthausen sub-camps, Außenlager-Loibl, is addressed in the thread linked below:

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/konzen...5/#post1113275

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2