Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

KZ Groß-Rosen, Stone Hell

Article about: Thank you for your kind words Michael. Regards, Carl

?

Default KZ Groß-Rosen, Stone Hell

The camp's location, as with other KLs, was chosen due to the proximity of the granite stone quarry, owned by the DEST (Deutsche Erd und Steinwerke GmbH) company (German Earth and Stone Works), where many thousands of inmates were forced to work in the most horrendous conditions imaginable. Limited medical care, gruelling twelve hour shifts and barbaric slave masters all led to the high death toll among the workers. Of the 125,000 prisoners who passed through the camp during its existence, approximately 40,000 perished, many of whom died due to the harshness of the forced labour. During the year 1942, when the camp was under the command of SS-Obersturmbannfuhrer Arthur Rodl, the average survival time for political prisoners at the camp was less than two months, a horrifying statistic made real by the level of hatred poured onto both them, and the many Jewish inmates, by the SS. Much of the work undertaken by the prisoners involved the construction and development of many of the subcamps of KL-Gross-Rosen, of which there were in the region of one hundred, mostly around the border areas and Sudetenland.

The museum authorities are currently attempting to raise funds, in order to construct and develop a walkway and grand memorial site within the quarry area.

Regards,

Carl

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KZ Groß-Rosen, Stone Hell   KZ Groß-Rosen, Stone Hell  

KZ Groß-Rosen, Stone Hell   KZ Groß-Rosen, Stone Hell  

KZ Groß-Rosen, Stone Hell   KZ Groß-Rosen, Stone Hell  

Default re: KZ Groß-Rosen, Stone Hell

Grim.

Thank you for keeping these sad events in the forefront of our minds Carl

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

sad photos of a forgotten time for most. carls input whilst ive been a member here has been so interesting and vivid with his posts i would like to propose an offer please adrian. {if i may}when carls membership is for up renewal,both margaret and myself would like to pay the subs for the following year,carl has been a very kind and supporting gentleman to me this last six months,and we would like to give something back to him as a heart felt thank him,this forum has kept me focussed on keeping busy since my recent illness,and im /we are so very grateful. please forgive my terrible post, my brain still dosnt work at the speed i would like,im most frustrated with my inability to correspond correctly,sincerely george

?

Quote by GEORGE View Post
    sad photos of a forgotten time for most. carls input whilst ive been a member here has been so interesting and vivid with his posts i would like to propose an offer please adrian. {if i may}when carls membership is for up renewal,both margaret and myself would like to pay the subs for the following year,carl has been a very kind and supporting gentleman to me this last six months,and we would like to give something back to him as a heart felt thank him,this forum has kept me focussed on keeping busy since my recent illness,and im /we are so very grateful. please forgive my terrible post, my brain still dosnt work at the speed i would like,im most frustrated with my inability to correspond correctly,sincerely george
    George, your words alone are plenty thanks enough. You are a true friend, and a gentleman. Thank you, and I am glad that my input interests you.

Kind regards,

Carl

Very interesting, thanks for posting this.

Another great thread.

?

An interesting reminder Carl of the fact that many German Industrialists got rich on the back of the misery of the Camp System.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Thank you again gents for your kind words.

Quote by GEORGE View Post
    Hello George.

I do not know you nor do I know the nature of your illness.

However, I wanted to say that I enjoyed reading your post and to assure you that (although I understand frustration and how you personally may feel about your words) since being a member here I doubt I have seen a more gracious sentiment more elegantly stated.

I wish you all the best and a speedy and continuing recovery.

?

Another excellent post. Carl have you been to the most heinous of KL's, the Mauthausen and related complexes? My understanding is Mauthausen was the only Level 3 camp, another quarry setting like Gross-Rossen. This by all accounts looks to be similar.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast