Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

KZ Mauthausen

Article about: I visited here in December a few years ago. I arrived in the fog and it was one of the most haunting places I have ever been to. There cannot have been more than a dozen people here all day,

?

Another thread of note, this time addressing the execution room at KZ-Mauthausen.

Mauthausen Execution Room - Genickschussecke

Fantastic photos complimented with period ones....a truly evil place

?

Thank you for sharing, interesting.

Thank you, Carl, for backing up my original post with further detailed and somewhat less well-known facts.

Martin

?

Quote by Salzburg View Post
    Thank you, Carl, for backing up my original post with further detailed and somewhat less well-known facts.

Martin
    No trouble at all Martin. We took in the Mauthausen-Gusen camps recently as part of a study trip - at about the third attempt(!), previous years hadn't been so kind to us with regards to the weather. Another memorable visit I must say.

A very informative thread Martin and Carl , the images of the prisoners making there way to the quarry for another back breaking days forced labour are very harrowing. Leon.

Carl, do you know anything about Hallein near Salzburg? I believe it was a Work Camp annex to Dachau. Am I right in thinking that it had a Mauthausen connection too?

Martin

?

Quote by Salzburg View Post
    Carl, do you know anything about Hallein near Salzburg? I believe it was a Work Camp annex to Dachau. Am I right in thinking that it had a Mauthausen connection too?

Martin
    Martin, the Hallein sub camp was attached to the main camp at Dachau. I am not aware of any connection to the Mauthausen-Gusen camp system. My notes on AL-Hallein refer only to KZ-Dachau. It was one of the smaller sub camps with a maximum prisoner population of less than 100 inmates.

Regards,

Carl

?

Häftlingsunterkunft (prisoner accommodation)

Several additional images attached that show the facilities within the typical Mauthausen barrack.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KZ Mauthausen   KZ Mauthausen  

KZ Mauthausen   KZ Mauthausen  

?

Quarantäne Hof (Quarantine Yard)

Following disastrous epidemics of typhus and dysentery, the hygiene regulations at KZ-Mauthausen were tightened. One such measure was the enforcement of a period of stay for new arrivals at the Quarantine Area. For many prisoners, this was their first experience of the utter harshness of camp life. Deprived of anything that reminded them of their former lives, they were now at the mercy of the SS and prisoner functionaries, with little chance of an improvement in circumstances. The adaptation was severely traumatic, with many breaking due to the shock of the experience. Abuse, starvation, sleep deprivation and physically demanding forced labour were the main concerns for inmates upon arrival at the camp, most of whom would endure approximately three weeks at the Quarantine Yard before transfer to the main barracks area. Here, at the Quarantine site, they received their first taste of camp brutality. The barracks of the quarantine yard were typically overcrowded, with over 1,000 inmates inside. No beds or blankets were provided and the inmates were watched by the Kapos and other prisoner functionaries - the SS guard staff did not enter the Quarantäne Hof. Consistent with other camps, the conditions at Mauthausen descended to be among the worst known throughout the history of the camp during the latter days of its existence, with the Quarantäne Hof being no exception. Many inmates perished due to the lack of even basic care or rations.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KZ Mauthausen   KZ Mauthausen  

KZ Mauthausen  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast