Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Neuengamme concentration camp, then and now

Article about: Hi, this a period photo, showing ss guards near the garage at Neuengamme concentration camp.

Default Re: Neuengamme concentration camp, then and now

Quote by DioMac View Post
    Hopefully every single one of the SS and other lowlife bastards that worked or served at the place suffered a long and agonizing death. If not, I hope their names and graves are lost to history.

Thankyou for showing us the the T&N photographs. It is important that crimes are not forgotten.
    From some shows I've seen on the history channel, some of the SS guards hated their jobs and didn't want to do this. Most of them were afraid to not do their jobs because they didn't want shame to their country. In a book I read called Escape: Children of the Holocaust, one of the guards helped a girl escape in a truck fullof other inmates and told them to jump out when they wanted. My point, not all the SS were bad heartless people.

?

The SS camp guards were trained and conditioned to feel no remorse, and that the inmates were less than human, the enemy who where could be no feeling of empathy or sympathy for. They were trained to brutalize, and feel no remorse. This is from day 1 at Dachau, where SS Totenkopf were trained under the tutelage of Theodor Eicke. Many at the death camps were Ukrainian and other foreign nationals. The bottom line Kyle, suffering and industrialized slavery and death on such a mass scale meant the society as a whole was corrupted, and not just Germany. The book Why We Watched clearly illustrates this.

To pick out a few guards who had some compassion is beyond the scope of this thread and subject matter.

Kyle-
    You just continue to come up with some of the most insensitive and idiotic posts. If you want to participate on an adult forum, you need to grow up. Stop trying to find some good Nazis when it comes to the KZ system. There were none! What you see on the history channel was REAL and all of those emaciated corpses were once people just like you, your family and your friends. For the sadists who participated in running that system, there was never a cruel enough punishment for them.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Nuno-thanks for posting the excellent before and after photos of this KZ. The camp itself looks remarkably well preserved-unlike so many of the others. You said that you visited there 2 years ago? What were the insides of the buildings like?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by kylesbullets View Post
    From some shows I've seen on the history channel, some of the SS guards hated their jobs and didn't want to do this. Most of them were afraid to not do their jobs because they didn't want shame to their country. In a book I read called Escape: Children of the Holocaust, one of the guards helped a girl escape in a truck fullof other inmates and told them to jump out when they wanted. My point, not all the SS were bad heartless people.
    Kyle you really need to do more research and gather more knowledge about this subject before posting uninformed comments such as this . This is not a subject where flippant inaccuracies are never ever going to go down well !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Nuno-thanks for posting the excellent before and after photos of this KZ. The camp itself looks remarkably well preserved-unlike so many of the others. You said that you visited there 2 years ago? What were the insides of the buildings like?
    Hi William

We were there during the winter, and in Germany they often close some parts of the visits.
    So we could only see the inside of the main housing building were some of the prisioners were held and some working areas.
    Some areas were left untouched, some were restored to house a permanent museum.
    The SS Garage was left completely untouched.
    There was still the factory complex, sadly was closed for the winter.

[QUOTE=TIGER88;736280]Thank you Doug, I appreciate those words wholeheartedly. As yet, there is nothing published, but there should hopefully be something to report with regards to that, in the not too distant future.

Regards,

Carl, please keep us informed if you do, judgeing by your writing style here on the forum anything you were involved in producing would be, not only educational, but extremely readable and very difficult to put down. I thoroughly enjoy your threads and I know I'm definately not alone there.

?

Thank you Dave for those kind and encouraging words, I appreciate them.

Regards,

Carl

?

[QUOTE=sandgroper;736606]
    Quote by TIGER88 View Post
    Thank you Doug, I appreciate those words wholeheartedly. As yet, there is nothing published, but there should hopefully be something to report with regards to that, in the not too distant future.

Regards,

Carl, please keep us informed if you do, judgeing by your writing style here on the forum anything you were involved in producing would be, not only educational, but extremely readable and very difficult to put down. I thoroughly enjoy your threads and I know I'm definately not alone there.
    All being well, something should be ready to report soon, perhaps with a view to a summer release. I will keep you updated, and thanks again for the encouragement.

Re: KL-Neuengamme

Below are a few images of an uncommon example of concentration camp prisoner post, being a letter sent by an inmate at Konzentrationslager Neuengamme, during his incarceration at the camp during July 1941. The prisoner survived the camp.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Neuengamme concentration camp, then and now   Neuengamme concentration camp, then and now  

Neuengamme concentration camp, then and now  

?

To put Ukrainians to guard jewish prisoner was a clever trick. The Germans knew that most of them hated jews because of the famine genocide, 1932-33 that took place in Ukraine. A moderate estimate of people starved to death in Ukraine is about 10 million! The NKVD of course played a major role in this confiscation of corn and live stock, and the NKVD top and higher rank was consisted of around 38.54%(This data is from 10th July 1934) people with jewish heritage. The Germans could not have found a better/worse guard than Ukrainians.

Regards, Lars

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast