Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Book: KL by Nikolaus Wachsmann

Article about: Thought that this would be the right section to bring a new book to peoples attention a new book. The book in question is KL: A History of the Nazi Concentration Camps by Nikolaus Wachsmann

Default New Book: KL by Nikolaus Wachsmann

Thought that this would be the right section to bring a new book to peoples attention. The book in question is KL: A History of the Nazi Concentration Camps by Nikolaus Wachsmann (ISBN: 978-0316729673).
    As the author states in the introduction, the book is not intended to be THE history of the camps but A history of them due to the sheer scale and complexity of the camps and the information available in various archives.
    However, so far I have read 200 (of 880) pages and, in the English language at least, I think this will be THE history of the camps. It begins with the early camps such as Kemna, Esterwagen and Börgermoor and explains how some of the earliest camps were no more than cellars (and a tugboat (near Bremen)) and how the Nazi regime clashed with the Judiciary on the excesses being committed to the extent that in the early days the camps were far from being permanent due to Police pressure. In some cases the police removed prisoners from the camps and placed them into prisons, something that saved the lives of some of the inmates. All of this was known to other countries, including the harsh treatments, and numerous newspapers covered the topic. Some senior officers in the camps even published books during that time which sold thousands of copies so they were known about by the German public.

The book covers many aspects of the camps in a total of 11 chapters, from corruption within the system, how the focus turned from the Communist menace to Jews and the ratcheting up of terror and how the camps existed in German society.

Research for the book covered 10 years and it shows and I would say it is a must read for anyone with an interest in the subject. Nikolaus Wachsmann is a European History Professor based in London.

New Book: KL by Nikolaus Wachsmann
    New Book: KL by Nikolaus Wachsmann New Book: KL by Nikolaus Wachsmann New Book: KL by Nikolaus Wachsmann
    Last edited by hucks216; 05-22-2015 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks for this, I will get a copy.

me too.

Thank you. Now on order from Amazon.

?

And rightly lauded too as Wachsmann has indeed managed to address the myriad of the KZ system within his work, a fine effort of the modern era. Yet, it is far from the most complete work. There is only one such work that will truly be worthy of such an appraisal and that is itself far from completion. The USHMM (United States Holocaust Memorial Museum) are currently in the midst of releasing their seven volume work (each has two substantial books) that will cover almost every single individual - not just variation, of prison, camp and ghetto. But don't rush out to pick up your copies just yet, as patience must be exercised...the set is scheduled to gradually be released over a twenty year period. Over the weekend, I will be working on one of my drafts due for inclusion in the work. The thread below addresses the work briefly, which in its totality, will address some 42,000 sites. The volumes already available generally cost several hundred dollars each.

The Holocaust Just Got More Shocking

Quote by CARL88 View Post
    There is only one such work that will truly be worthy of such an appraisal and that is itself far from completion. The USHMM (United States Holocaust Memorial Museum) are currently in the midst of releasing their seven volume work (each has two substantial books) that will cover almost every single individual - not just variation, of prison, camp and ghetto.
    Very true. I have the first 2 Volumes (Parts A & B in both) and it is already clear that the work will probably never be surpassed once complete. Yad Vashem have also released a 2 volume set covering the Ghettos which I would recommend.

Hi hucks, thanks for the recommendation, i have just ordered a copy for myself. Having spoken to Carl about his participation in the USHMM publication, i have no doubt that it will be the definitive work on the KL system, but probably out of my price range unfortunately. This looks to be a fine and more affordable work to begin with though. Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    ... i have no doubt that it will be the definitive work on the KL system, but probably out of my price range unfortunately. This looks to be a fine and more affordable work to begin with though. Leon.
    They are two very different type of books. The USHMM publications are encyclopedias whereas KL is a more traditional type of book.

?

That is indeed correct. The USHMM project should not be regarded as a book per se, rather a comprehensive record of the expansive system of exploitation, concentration, torture and ultimately murder of millions of people during the Nazi era.

Hi, well my copy has just arrived and it sure is a weighty tome! It looks, at a brief glance to be a fine well researched work that I look forward to reading (once I have finished The Krakow Ghetto Pharmacy). Leon.
    Last edited by FALLSCHIRMJAGER; 05-27-2015 at 10:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast