Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Part of Dachau camp gate bearing Nazi slogan stolen

Article about: Part of Dachau camp gate bearing Nazi slogan stolen | World news | The Guardian German police say part of a wrought-iron gate at the former Dachau concentration camp bearing the Nazi slogan

Default Part of Dachau camp gate bearing Nazi slogan stolen

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/25...n-from-dachau/

Part of Dachau camp gate bearing Nazi slogan stolen

"The theft of the historic wrought iron gate, which measures two metres (yards) by one metre, apparently happened overnight, police said in a statement.

The site has no surveillance system, but is monitored by security guards and the theft apparently took place between their rounds of the camp, said police, who have appealed for any possible witnesses.

The head of the foundation of memorial sites in the Bavaria region and an elected official, Karl Freller, called the theft an "ignoble act."

The Dachau camp, located a few kilometres (miles) from Munich, opened in 1933, less than two months after Adolf Hitler became German chancellor. It was initially set up as a place to incarcerate political prisoners before becoming a death camp during World War II, killing more than 41,000 Jews.

The camp was liberated by US troops on April 29, 1945. Today some 800,000 visitors from around the world visit the camp each year.

The same "Work will set you free" sign at the Auschwitz-Birkenau camp in Poland was stolen in 2009, sparking a global outcry.

The mastermind of that theft, Swedish neo-Nazi Anders Hoegstroem, was jailed for two-and-a-half years.

The metal sign was eventually recovered cut up into three pieces, leading museum officials to display a replica above the entrance until it was restored in 2011."

hopefully they will find it soon , disgusting crime

?

What really is the point of stealing such a known iconic image ???
    ... What would be the point of having such an item ??? .. even in a "Private" collection ???

Ignorance and stupidly !

...I am bought it because I am preserving history which would otherwise have been lost.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Hope they get the bugger..
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-archeology-Legenda-Latvia/224779244335847

http://www.hobbyhistorica.com/

?

Nice one Stefan ......... ....
    The "catch all" "specialized collector" view ... which I'm sure will be bounded on many 4th Reich forums as a perfectly legitimate excuse ...

Quote by StefanM View Post
    ...I am bought it because I am preserving history which would otherwise have been lost.

The news media widely reports:

"It was initially set up as a place to incarcerate political prisoners before becoming a death camp during World War II, killing more than 41,000 Jews."

Which is contradicted by:

"Over the 12 years of use as a concentration camp, the Dachau administration recorded the intake of 206,206 prisoners and deaths of 31,951."

Dachau was a concentration camp where many were killed or died from disease, malnutrition and suicide it was not a "Death Camp" as such. Also where did the "killing of 41,000 Jews" number come from if all the deaths of Jews, Poles, Russians and others of the 30 nationalities imprisoned at Dachau over its history only amounted to a number of 31,951? Although a gas chamber was built at Dachau the USHMM states; " There is no credible evidence that the gas chamber in Barrack X was used to murder human beings."

There is so much misinformation around no wonder the deniers have something deniable to point to!
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Prepare the firing squad for these ones... Such a memorial should always remain as perfect as possible!
    It is like stilling the candles from a grave... But beware because Karma is a b*tch!!

Not the first time this has happened, remember this???

BBC News - Auschwitz sign Arbeit Macht Frei is returned
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

That makes two camps now as Sachsenhausen gates are not original, they were destroyed by the Russians. I visited this camp this year, will post some pics later as not to hijack this posting.
    Regards SK

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast