Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Photo confirmation of death at Auschwitz 69 years later

Article about: A sad but interesting story Poignant photograph that proves pensioner's family died at Auschwitz - Telegraph

Default Photo confirmation of death at Auschwitz 69 years later

Default Re: Photo confirmation of death at Auchwitz 69 years later

Very poignant.

Default Re: Photo confirmation of death at Auschwitz 69 years later

I don't know how anybody can read this and not get choked up. It is a heartbreaking story, but at least the gentleman will have satisfaction in knowing the truth about his parents. Just imagine how many others out there have no record of what happened to their family. It is an eternal tragedy

Terribly sad truth.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Thank you for posting this.

What a sad story, the only redeeming thing is it might give the family some kind of closure.

This coming Sunday, Jan 27th is Holocaust memorial Day here in the UK. This is the anniversary of the Liberation of the camp by the Red Army.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

This puts a very human face on this horrible tragedy. Thanks for posting.

Thank God for the British program, or his fate could have been one and the same as his parents and grandparent.

Dorchester is my old home town.

Thanks for posting this remarkable story.

I wonder in Mr. Grenville will try and claim his family suitcase back from the Auschwitz Museum like Michel Levi-Leleu tried with his father's suitcase that was loaned to a Paris exhibition where he happened to stumble across it. The Auschwitz Museum refused to release the suitcase back to the rightful heir, Mr. Levi-Leleu. Just as the museum refused in the case of seven watercolor portraits of Gypsy prisoners that are in the Auschwitz museum. The pictures were painted in 1943 by a young Czech Jew, Dina Gottliebova Babbitt now living in California who wanted to recover them. But the museum has refused, in their view the paintings serve ''important documentary and educational functions'' by testifying to the genocide of Gypsies and must be kept at the museum, therefore outweighing the rightful owners claim to his own property.

It raises an interesting question; should the moral right of ownership to Holocaust artifacts by the survivors and heirs of those artifacts be over-ridden by the museum for a "perceived greater purpose" and who should be the final legal authority making such a decision, surely not the Museum or the Polish state?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

That is interesting to read. Not heard of that. I dislike many museums due to this kind of high handed attitude.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!