Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Pramienschein uber RM.-.50, Konzentrationslager Auschwitz

Article about: Any thoughts on this upcoming auction item at Spinks of London? Auschwitz Concentration Camp, Poland, .50 mark, ND (1940-1945), no serial numbers, black text on tan card, `Pramienschein uber

?

Thank you 4thskorpion,

The work by Feller - which together with Campbell's book mentioned earlier in the thread, forms probably the most definitive guide to the subject, displays seven different second pattern examples from Auschwitz. All match the very accurate pattern shown in the piece at the start of this thread, with rather exact kerning. It is an interesting point you raise addressing the type setting and one I wonder if Campbell, Feller and company have considered. Many of the examples displayed in their works came from the Meyer Jr. collection which consists of numerous examples acquired from survivors.

?

All very interesting, as Ive never seen one of these before. Fantastic forum - you learn something new every day.

(On an OT note; I read the title as "PramienschWein" and initially thought WTH!!!!!!!!)

An absolutely genuine and Horrendously Rare note-probably the most sought after in the series, due to the infamous name of the camp in which it was issued. It should be interesting to see how high it goes. The Campbell book is not 100%. There are numerous issues which were missed, and a update edition was always mentioned but has never appeared.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Where were these various notes printed and who were the issuing authority? Who decided which camp got which particular type of note?

These are the references I found, is any one more authoratitive than the other?

Pick, Albert. Das Lagergeld der Konzentrations- und D.P.-Lager: 1933-1945, Munich, Battenberg Publishers, 1976.

Schöne, Michael H., Das Papiergeld im besetzten Deutschland 1945-1949, Regenstauf: Gietl, 1994.

Stahl, Zvi, Jewish Ghettos and Concentration Camps' Money, 1933-1945, London: D. Richman Books, 1990.

Campbell, Lance K., Dachau concentration camp scrip, Margate, Florida: American Israel Numismatic Association, 1992.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    An absolutely genuine and Horrendously Rare note-probably the most sought after in the series, due to the infamous name of the camp in which it was issued. It should be interesting to see how high it goes. The Campbell book is not 100%. There are numerous issues which were missed, and a update edition was always mentioned but has never appeared.
    The Auschwitz piece is rare, but not nearly as scarce as many of the other KL related currency examples. Even with the added stamp on the reverse of this example (Birkenau/Männerlager), it is not as uncommon as one might think. Should two people feel they really need the piece, then it will indeed go high - as with any other auction lot. This auction house have several examples listed, with some rather questionable estimates - but we'll see what happens.

Regarding the Campbell work, I have a later edition but do prefer the more recent Feller+Feller work for both detail and accuracy.

As with just about all areas of collecting TR related material, this area is risky and should not be entered without plenty of study beforehand.

As I said, it's Very rare-you may go a number of Years before seeing one, so it's not something you see every day, but the main point being, of course, is that it's perhaps the most Sought after piece in the series of camp notes due to it's infamous camp name mystique. Personally, I think they can't hold a candle to the attractive Oranienberg notes, but they've been Extensively faked from almost the war was over, so I wouldn't trust just about any of them now without bulletproof provenances. In fact, so Many of the Camp notes have been counterfeited for the last 50-60 years, the entire field is like walking in a minefield in the dark, and I've generally avoided most of the issues entirely. In the end, you wind up spending Far over what you should for these notes all due to the incorrect assumption that they somehow "Should" be rare simply for where they've come from and been used, but in reality, that's just not the case and their extreme appeal is artificial. Maybe Someday in the future when the obsession with "Concentration Camps" abates, maybe Then you'll see these notes come back down to where they Should be, but I don't think that I'll see it in My lifetime.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    As I said, it's Very rare-you may go a number of Years before seeing one, so it's not something you see every day, but the main point being, of course, is that it's perhaps the most Sought after piece in the series of camp notes due to it's infamous camp name mystique. Personally, I think they can't hold a candle to the attractive Oranienberg notes, but they've been Extensively faked from almost the war was over, so I wouldn't trust just about any of them now without bulletproof provenances. In fact, so Many of the Camp notes have been counterfeited for the last 50-60 years, the entire field is like walking in a minefield in the dark, and I've generally avoided most of the issues entirely. In the end, you wind up spending Far over what you should for these notes all due to the incorrect assumption that they somehow "Should" be rare simply for where they've come from and been used, but in reality, that's just not the case and their extreme appeal is artificial. Maybe Someday in the future when the obsession with "Concentration Camps" abates, maybe Then you'll see these notes come back down to where they Should be, but I don't think that I'll see it in My lifetime.
    It is indeed rare - as stated above. However, it is no rarer than any other piece from the Auschwitz series which are all less scarce than many other examples of camp currency. This is a fact. Auschwitz copies come in various forms, as do other camp and ghetto forgeries. Most fail to resemble an accurate example of a genuine piece. I fully agree that the prices are at a ridiculous level now - but then again, much of the camp or SS related material has long since left the reach of most pockets. As this particular field suffers from a lack of accurate coverage, it is indeed a minefield.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2