Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ravensbrück - Liberation Anniversary

Article about: Today, 30th April 2014, marks the 69th anniversary of the liberation of Ravensbrück. On this day in 1945, Soviet troops entered the grounds of the camp, located aside the Schwedtsee, Fürsten

?

Default Ravensbrück - Liberation Anniversary

Today, 30th April 2014, marks the 69th anniversary of the liberation of Ravensbrück. On this day in 1945, Soviet troops entered the grounds of the camp, located aside the Schwedtsee, near Fürstenberg, north of Berlin, where work began on establishing the camp as early as autumn 1938, as a f.KL - Frauen-Konzentrationslager (women's concentration camp) - although later, a men's camp was also founded at the site. The main camp and its system of sub-camps saw over thirty different nationalities of inmate, with over one third arriving from Poland. By January 1945, the prisoner population had grown to over 50,000. It is estimated that between 30,000-92,000 people died within the Ravensbrück camp system. Thousands of these victims were killed shortly before the arrival of the Soviet forces - including infants and pregnant women. Over two thousand sick and exhausted mostly female inmates were left behind by the SS when the final evacuations left the camp in late April 1945. Survivors of the death marches were freed by Soviet patrols shortly after.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ravensbrück - Liberation Anniversary   Ravensbrück - Liberation Anniversary  

Last edited by CARL; 02-23-2015 at 12:49 PM.

For me a reminder and commemoration of my own grandmother who in 1941 was prisoner 5 953 at this concentration camp.

Thank you for posting this tribute to all, Carl.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Post-liberation issued I.D. card for former prisoner Teresa Breuerowa no. 47 568 incarcerated 18 May 1943 at Ravensbrück concentration camp.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ravensbrück - Liberation Anniversary  
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Today, 30th April 2015, marks the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Ravensbrück concentration camp. Tens of thousands of victims - mostly women, but also men and children, died within the Ravensbrück camp system.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ravensbrück - Liberation Anniversary   Ravensbrück - Liberation Anniversary  

time passes but people still remember.thanks Carl.

?

A good thing to remember.

?

Another year on...

Today marks the 71st anniversary of the liberation of the camp.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ravensbrück - Liberation Anniversary  

Thankyou Carl .... for your hard work here on this forum..keeping the memory alive and never to be forgotten of those dark times in human history.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Another year passes by...

Tomorrow, 30th April 2019, marks the 74th anniversary of the liberation of Ravensbrück. As Hitler committed suicide just 50 odd miles to the south, thousands of sick and weakened prisoners of the infamous camp at Ravensbrück finally tasted freedom when the Red Army arrived a day after the SS fled the camp.

Tens of thousands died at Ravensbrück...mostly women but also many men (the Männerlager was established in 1941) youths and children too.

?

Tomorrow, April 30th 2020, marks the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Ravensbrück.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast