Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp..

Article about: Outside again now and this is a shot taken from roughly the centre of the camp, just in front of the Soviet Liberation Memorial looking back towards the main entrance. A look back along the

?

Default Re: Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp..

Guys, I started this thread to share my experience of Sachsenhausen and to give members who might not have the chance to visit an insight of the camp.
    This is not the thread nor the forum to start a generic rant about the holocaust. No questions and no arguments, thats the way it is. Unless you can keep the thread within the context of it's purpose, don't post or better still, join another forum where you can discuss the issues you obviously feel the need to get off your chest. Don't do it here.
    If I or any of the Admin/Moderator team see the thread being turned into something other than what it was started for it will be closed and those individuals will be banned. You know who you are - this is the first and only warning you will get.

For any other member who does wish to comment upon, discuss or ask questions about Sachsenhausen then please do so.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Sorry mate, inapropriate place to raise issues such as that here.

Please accept my apologies

?

Here are some photo's of photos since my scanner's on the fritz. Anyway, I'm not quite sure what KZ this is but thought I'd add them to go with the "camp" theme. I find these photos puzzling,on the one hand there is a cart full of bodies of fellow inmates and on the other hand the remaining living prisoners are smiling because they are liberated.Interesting snapshot in time. I apologize if these offend anyone.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp..   Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp..  

Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp..  

?

Thank you for posting Dean. They are very thought provoking images, were they part of an album or group of photos?

?

Quote by Panzer1031 View Post
    Anyway, thank you Adrian for posting this. I truly feel like Ive personally taken the tour now. Good job at photographing all the key points of the tour. That height scale was enough to make the hair stand up on the back of my neck. The process of how things were carried out is just unimaginable. It makes you wonder if the man behind the wall with the gun was a willing participant or forced into duty in fear of his own life? Just goes to show that people act in different ways while in a group or crowd situation than they would if they were alone.
    I have recently visited the Richmond Holocaust Museum, and even at a place that wasnt a previous concentration camp site.......you still leave those places with a chilling feeling and sadness of what those people endured. I am also very interested in the pilot who parachuted into the camp. I will have to do some searching
    My Great grandfather was a soldier in the 102nd airbourne and parachuted into and liberated many a concetration camp at the end of the war. His name was William"Bill" Oatman and was in several war hero books.His B17 was once shot down in france behind enemy lines. When he bailed out and deployed his parachute, the plane was about 50 yards form the ground. When he jumped out , the parachutehit the wing and he sun around thre or more times before he slammed into the earth. He then made his way to a nearby farmhouse and was taken in by the french family.The German officers often frequented the farmhouse for dinner and shelter.The french family told the officers my grnd father was their deaf /mute son.The germans then ate dinner at the same table as my grandpa and all the while, he would listen to their plans and then radio back the info to his superiors.I always knew he was a war hero but I never knew the extent of what he did until one day when I opened a book on the subject and his named popped up!Trippy how you find out about some things, eh?

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Thank you for posting Dean. They are very thought provoking images, were they part of an album or group of photos?
    Thank you. these were two photos together. I have a few more similar photos , if you want me to post them I will.
    ~Dean

?

Aside from the inappropriate blip in the middle, I found this to be a very thorough, and respectful thread. Well done Adrian, one hopes that there are many other folk such as yourself, who will never allow this black part of history to fade away.

Regards,

Carl

Thank you for the photos and thread.
    I really liked, i have been to Neuengamme, and i too had difficulty to get the "feeling" of place.
    Anyway, still a great experience.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

?

I was there in 1987. Much has changed since then i can see.I actually only recognize the crematoriums. The roll call area was not described a such when i was there. It was said to be a area for breaking in boots for soldiers at the front. The whole area/circle was covered with gravel, rocks, crushed bricks and broken bottles. The DDR guide told us the prisoner marched round there all day at times. Did you see the area where they were supposed to drain the blood of the dead for the German industry? It was in a basement area with raw concrete walls and a big silo above on ground level.

?

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Did you see the area where they were supposed to drain the blood of the dead for the German industry? It was in a basement area with raw concrete walls and a big silo above on ground level.
    I didn't see that or remember seeing anything described as such, where in the camp was it?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast