Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Secret bunker found in Austria

Article about: Sorry if this has already been posted , but i am sure we will hear more about this, SS helmets and other bits already recovered. A network of underground tunnels and bunkers used by the Nazi

Wink

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    wouldn't just a few pictures of the atrifacts recovered be part of the public display of glory?

Don't take me for a doubting Thomas here, I would love this to be fully as described but I just need a little more convincing

Regards

Mark
    Shame on you !

I am entirely convinced. For one thing, it may explain where all those 'SS Relics' we've seen posted on the Forum this year have come from

And I bet we'll see many more in 2015 !

Anyhow - must dash - I'm just off to the docks to take delivery of my Burmese Spitfire.......

?

An interesting update, courtesy of KZ-Gedenkstätte Mauthausen:

International media coverage about the tunnel system "Bergkristall" in St. Georgen a.d. Gusen

In the last few months, triggered by public speculations raised by filmmaker Andreas Sulzer, there was intensive media coverage about the tunnel system built by inmates of the Gusen Concentration Camp during the Nazi area, code-named “Bergkristall” and situated in St. Georgen a/d Gusen. Sulzer had claimed in repeated turnarounds that during his research for a documentary he had found evidence which would require the existing historical knowledge about this tunnel system to be revised. With reference to Sulzer, the media reported among others that the actual size of the tunnel system was much bigger than presently known, that atomic research had been conducted in these tunnels, and moreover, that human remains of tens of thousands concentration camp inmates must be suspected there.

Such public speculations caused a feeling of insecurity within the population of St. Georgen, which prompted the District Commission Perg to launch a package of measures to clarify historical and geological facts, including exploration drillings, measurements of environmental data and a critical review of historical sources. On 26 January 2015, the report by the interdisciplinary group of experts appointed by the District Commission, which also included representatives from the Mauthausen Memorial, was presented to the public. The experts unambiguously concluded that all assumptions established by Andreas Sulzer and reported by the media have failed all critical scientific examinations.

The findings were released a few weeks ago.

Regards,

Carl

"Up to 320,000 slave labourers toiled and died working on the site" "that human remains of tens of thousands concentration camp inmates must be suspected there."?? Just how big Was this place? Sounds enormous! And why are there 10's of thousands of bodies in the tunnels? Were they driven inside them before they sealed and abandoned the complex? A full funded and manned Government exploration should be authorized.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Imagine my surprise that a filmmaker would concoct a fabricated story?

looking forward to a documentary being made of this discovery

I wouldn't hold my breath. If anything does ever make it to film I'd be willing to bet it's another of these "there could be something really interesting in there but we're not allowed in" reality type shows with darkness, running cameramen with breathless, whispering reporters intercut with a bunch of period footage we've all seen before.

?

"The experts unambiguously concluded that all assumptions established by Andreas Sulzer and reported by the media have failed all critical scientific examinations"

This is the key part of the statement released by the museum. Basically, what has been stated by the media, and indeed, Andreas Sulzer, is incorrect.

My take on this story: A successful co-operation between Austro-German bureaucracy and government-led historians have led to a halt of this potential revealing project. It's a local museum's task to take on projects like these so the locals get to know more about what happened around their town. Instead they willfully halted and failed to co-operate with the film maker. That's a bridge too far for Austrian bureaucracy.
    The fact is Austro-German archeologists and historical organisations are barely interested in WWII history. I have experienced this personally. It's a grey area for them. It's going to take a few more decades before German and Austrian archaeology will show any interest in uncovering the past of WWII. By then it will be too late as many relic-hunters like me came before them.

Chris

Quote by CARL88 View Post
    "The experts unambiguously concluded that all assumptions established by Andreas Sulzer and reported by the media have failed all critical scientific examinations"

This is the key part of the statement released by the museum.

Basically, what has been stated by the media, and indeed, Andreas Sulzer, is incorrect.
    As I said earlier "I need more convincing" there is a word for this kind of "discovery" story; Bo***cks!!! and I wish we could filter it out and confine it to the gutter press where it belongs

Even yet people are still not seeing what is before their eyes and are missing the crucial point of this piece as quoted by Carl above!

Thanks to Carl for providing this counterpoise

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Soon the atomic-powered SS zombies will emerge from the tunnels and prove Mr Andreas right!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast