Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

SS-Aufseherinnen: Female Camp Guards 1938-1945

Article about: There are some very evil looking women in this footage, they really do make your blood run cold. It is a real shame that some of these women literally got away with murder.

A very interesting thread on many levels, it amazes me that some of these women got away scot free from punishment after the war. On the issue of the uniform, could it not be possible that it was a private purchase piece as I can see no sign of military manufactured size stampings or cloth roll numbers? That may also explain the "non generic" length and sizes of sleeves, pockets etc? I have seen many variations on the naming of owners labels due to them not being from the "military tailors", so I personally would not write this one off. Did the supposed owner come from a "well to do" family as that would increase the chances of a private purchase piece? Leon.

?

The majority of women - and girls, let us not forget that youths under the age of 18 were also among the ranks of the SS-Aufseherinnen, came from more simple backgrounds. One of the major factors that contributed toward them applying for such positions within the KZ system was the pay, which when compared to general factory duty work for example, was rather attractive.

Quote by CARL88 View Post
    The majority of women - and girls, let us not forget that youths under the age of 18 were also among the ranks of the SS-Aufseherinnen, came from more simple backgrounds. One of the major factors that contributed toward them applying for such positions within the KZ system was the pay, which when compared to general factory duty work for example, was rather attractive.
    Hi Carl, hope you have recovered from all your recent travelling! Your above comment is very true indeed, but I am sure that as in all walks of life, there were thick , sadistic little rich girls running around who joined organisations such as this, just for the sheer hell of making the lives of others a living misery, and holding power over them. Leon.

?

Anyone who knows of genuine uniforms from these female guards? Since there was some thousand of these emploees, i would believe something still must exist out there.

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Carl, hope you have recovered from all your recent travelling! Your above comment is very true indeed, but I am sure that as in all walks of life, there were thick , sadistic little rich girls running around who joined organisations such as this, just for the sheer hell of making the lives of others a living misery, and holding power over them. Leon.
    True Leon, that much is certain. Not only the pay packet mentioned above, but a place within the ranks of the "elite" was a very attractive factor for many of these women. Despite the advertisements outlining their duties in a somewhat vague manner - something I personally addressed within my After The Battle article on Floßenbürg subcamp KZ-Außenlager Holleischen, due to its nature as a camp that not only had female SS guards but also served as a training site for such staff, many women are known to have behaved in a manner that is, to us, almost incomprehensible from members of the fairer sex.

?

Quote by TrondK View Post
    Anyone who knows of genuine uniforms from these female guards? Since there was some thousand of these emploees, i would believe something still must exist out there.
    The numbers of the SS-Aufseherinnen totalled over 3,200 - with nearly 1,000 of these at f.KL-Ravensbrück and its system of satellite camps. With little or no insignia present on a large percentage of these uniforms, many have been lost to history for various reasons - not only due to the fact that anything connecting an individual with such a role would have meant certain interrogation or much worse, leading to the destruction of much of the material.

?

Further to the background of the Aufseherinnen:

Although the vast majority came from lower class families, the three women listed below could claim to have a degree of aristocratic blood:

Annemie (Anni) von der Hülst - held the position of Oberaufseherin at KL-Neuengamme and satellite camp Hamburg-Wandsbek

Euphemia von der Wielen - Aufseherin at f.KL-Ravensbrück and satellite camp Genshagen (aged 30 by war's end)

Ellen von Kettler - another Aufseherin at Ravensbrück
    Last edited by CARL; 03-25-2017 at 09:59 PM.

?

A further annotation addressing the behaviour aspect...

One such overseer, Aufseherin Klara Kunig, was removed from service due to being too "nice" to the prisoners. Kunig, an Aufseherin at one of the Dresden subcamps (Dresden-Universelle) who also served at Ravensbrück, was classed as "delinquent in training" due to her shy nature and polite attitude toward the prisoners. From February 13th 1945, her fate is unknown.

The same cannot be said of Elisabeth Knoblich, an Aufseherin regarded as so offensive that she was nicknamed "Halte die Klappe!" ("Shut up!") by her fellow overseers. Knoblich's reputation as a harsh individual followed her throughout her career as an Aufseherin, which started as a 21 year old at Ravensbrück in August 1940, before continuing at KZ-Lublin-Majdanek over two years later.

?

Sorry for bringing up this old thread but i must add that the comments of CARL are correct. There is a reason why so many women (and men) who at some capacity worked at a concentration camp like ordinary SS-Helferinnen would marry or change their name after the war. They're lucky they did, since now you can even be charged for being a supporter of mass murder if you were not even in contact with any prisoners or a short stint as secretary.
    The same goes for men who were transfered to Dachau for a short time (not even necessarily for guard duty).

On Amazon half the books about "SS Women" has pictures of Helferinnen and ordinary secretaries. Some even have post-war movie pictures... and then 100s and 100s of positive reviews. There are even books using a certain movie picture as front cover and/or inside the book that shows 2 actresses dressed as SS-Aufseherin, looking smug and holding riding crops or whips.

Thanks for your time and i will move over to the Introduction Area now (which i should have posted first)
    Cheers from Frankfurt, Germany
    Last edited by CARL; 04-05-2017 at 01:08 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6