Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SS Concentration Camp WHIP

Article about: Someone has this to sell, but I want to get some opinions before I negotiate a price. As you can see in the pics--supposedly it came from Dachau camp. I have NO idea about these, so I need s

?

Default Re: SS Concentration Camp WHIP

I hate to say this by I to feel exactly the same way, WHY ON GODS EARTH WOULD YOUR WANT SUCH AN ITEM , so unless you are thinking of purchasing this, to then donate to a holocaust memorial museum, I would save your money and buy a nice piece of militaria and not one that has such a historically treble legacy attached to it! As I've said before something's are best left to history, and not collected PERIOD.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Jan
    ?

Well said Nige, nothing to add there.

Rgds Jan

Quote by couplefoureight View Post
    Hi, I just listed a original whip for sale at this site. The one here is a fake. No words, just see the difference. A pity all the fake war relics.
    I dont honestly know why someone would actually want something like this in their collection due to its history and what it was actually used for, a purpose far different than that of a rifle oy bayonet. I'm with Nige, it belongs in a museum for people to see, not in a display or in a box in someones house. It wouldnt exactly give of a good impression of whoever owns it too.
    This is just my opinion however.....

Thanks

Danny

?

What needs to be said, .. has been said !

Fully agree with Nige ..

Gary J.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I have purchased two of these from veterans with the same identification. Ade's information is correct. I have heard they were also used on rugs. They can be period but are definitley not whips from the camps.
    Having read all the posts here Bob, i would like to know your reason for purchasing TWO of these 'whips'. Is it in an interest that most appear to find extremely distasteful, or are you just keen on the history of domestic carpet cleaning devices prior to the vacuum cleaner.

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Having read all the posts here Bob, i would like to know your reason for purchasing TWO of these 'whips'. Is it in an interest that most appear to find extremely distasteful, or are you just keen on the history of domestic carpet cleaning devices prior to the vacuum cleaner.

Ned.
    Ned-
    Don't get your shorts in a bunch. They were part of vet lots. You bought it all or you took a chance of loosing it all. Both were over 40 years ago and I kept neither. It has long been known in the collector community that these were used to clean fabric and not whips for use on people. They of course might have been used on people. However, I have never seen one of these blood on the leather. Likely the identification of these being whips used on humans was an idea created by the vets who found and brought them home.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

A friend of mine who has just left my house was here for the purpose of viewing the threads on this site,he was very interested in the vast amount of knowledge that is expressed here, he is 65yrs old and has been a leather worker most of his adult life,he has made numerous military items for reenactment etc,we read this thread and he was very dubious about the originality of this object.He stated that leather goods supposedly of this age and that thinly whip material would by now have become very hard and possibly very cracked and damaged. Another point he made was that the ends of the leather whip would be frayed no matter what the use,camel riding ,carpet beating or worse, unless this a completely unissued item but it is being sold as a camp whip which you would suspect had been used for the purpose it was designed for in view of this , believed fake

?

I once saw some whips and clubs taken from camps in a Russian museum. The one shown is like a childs toy compared to those

Regards, Mametz

I know this thread is very old, but I was looking up how these whips are called, the correct military name for them that is. And I came upon this thread on WRF.
    I can only find the French name, and that is a 'martinet'. It is still a piece of kit in the French Foreign Legion, and today I bought a FFL martinet and a patch of the 2eme Rep on a antique market here in France. According to the seller it dates from the 60's, maybe even the 70's. Used to whip the Sahara dust from the uniform after a long sunny march. I have seen pictures of soldiers doing so. I actually only wanted the patch, the seller wanted 2 euros for the patch and he gave me the whip with it for free. I know is was also a piece of kit in the German army, but no clue if it was a stndard piece of kit, Don't think so, but I'm sure I've seen a picture once of RAD soldiers cleaning their uniform with a "martinet".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Concentration Camp WHIP   SS Concentration Camp WHIP  

Boy...Was I an angry young man back in them days.....

Rebel without a clue.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast