MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SS Concentration Camp WHIP

Article about: Someone has this to sell, but I want to get some opinions before I negotiate a price. As you can see in the pics--supposedly it came from Dachau camp. I have NO idea about these, so I need s

Many a long eon ago when I was a young smart mouth (as opposed to being an Old smart mouth Today), my Parents made one of these things. As I recall, they used a cut off end of a broom handle and stapled an oblong swatch of leather onto it and cut the end of it into long strips. It looked Identical to the pieces shown here on this thread. Most unfortunately for Me, it was Definitely Not for removing dust from carpets, but Did remove it quite efficiently from seats of Pants....For some odd reason, I distinctly remember this even to this Day....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thread moved to Arts and Exotica..for the time being. This "thing" does not belong in the SS Uniforms and Insignia. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The camp guards were expected and even required to whip inmates nearly on a daily basis in order to strengthen their ideology and create the image of being superior and in complete control at all times. This is noted in, 'Images of War: Himmler's Nazi Concentration Camp Guards' by Ian Baxter.
    That, of course, doesn't mean this particular whip was used for such a task, even if it really did come from Dachau. In all likelyhood this item very well could've been used, such as Mr. Coleman stated above, for the dusting of clothes and other similar items, especially when considering how dusty and dirty camp grounds were. Regardless, with what little is known via the inscription it's pretty much impossible to prove it's use either way or even where about it was used.
    I also must respectfully disagree with the friend of the gentleman above, though considering his career he very well could be correct and surely knows more about leather goods than me, who stated he believed the whip to be a complete fabrication because of the condition it's in. As we all know, many original items produced during the Third Reich of thin leather are still in just as good condition as they were the day they were made. I'd think the condition of such an item would be dictated by how often it was/is used and where it's stored rather than solely upon what it's made up of.

?

Original or not, clothing whip or not, I wouldn't want it. Unless I took the skull off to save. Way too scary or misleading if it's a clothing whip.

Just an odd thought and observation.... If it Were intended to beat People on a daily basis with, I would imagine that it would not have lasted all that long, considering the way it's constructed. As a Carpet beater, on the other hand, it's quite well adapted, as it's light and flexible. Whipping People would quickly get it sopped with blood and would be ruined after a few applications. You have only to look at the destructive power of blood on a helmet liner. Even washing and soaking it to clean it would likely result in the leather stiffening and cracking (think of getting Un-oiled hunting boots wet a few times and see what condition they're in almost immediately)...If the guards whipped inmates, I would think that a braided style of whip like a black snake or bull whip would have been the choice used. Braiding and oiling would give the leather the strength needed to perform the lashing of prisoners-not this light little flail shown. Personally, I think these little carpet beaters have gotten an ill reputation simply from propaganda and greedy unscrupulous sellers promoting them as something more heinous that what they actually were.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

This video is great reference to the atrocities which accrued in just one of the 22 main concentration camps that were established, together with roughly around 1,200 affiliate camps, Aussenkommandos, and thousands of smaller camps. Though the U.S Naval P.O.W does speak to the beating of prisoners, he says that clubs were used, and doesn't mention anything about whips...though that doesn't mean these type of instruments weren't used there or at one of the many other camps.

Link to video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rcXhw34B9Og

Criticalpast is a wonderful source for period evidence of such things. The naysayers of gas chambers can argue with the speaker in the video who was there, much unlike them.
    ----------
    Additionally I do have one question/thought: if the inmate who was the recipient of the whipping was clothed, would blood still have gotten on the whips? I would think specialized disrobed beating would've been instrumented by something powerful like Wagriff said, possibly a bullwhip, while quick disciplinary punishments or "incentive" to increase work productivity would've been issued by something small, light and easy to transport; possibly something like the item posted above. This, of course, is only speculation on my part.

?

Maybe off subject, the US Naval POW in that film is Lt. Jack Taylor who was in Mauthausen for 35 days, he did state in his Nuremberg testimony that whips where used, but these where the cow tail type.

The rest of his testimony does make an interesting read.
    Lt. Jack Taylor - testimony from the Mauthausen case in the "Dachau Trials"

Thank you, duska, a very interesting read and a nice compliment to the video above.

Looks like a tarted up clothing whip to me...nothing more.
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Looks like a tarted up clothing whip to me...nothing more.
    cheers, Glenn
    Amen. For the life of me, I cannot see why we are still discussing this item after half a decade.

Talk about flogging a dead horse...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast