Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

"The Star of Ashes" by Ka-Tzetnik

Article about: I have recently been looking for a suitable paragraph to accompany a series of Holocaust photos and this was the one I found that most appropriately encapsulated my own thinking: "We ar

Default "The Star of Ashes" by Ka-Tzetnik

I have recently been looking for a suitable paragraph to accompany a series of Holocaust photos and this was the one I found that most appropriately encapsulated my own thinking:

"We are the last transportees of the last ghetto. How did it come to pass that down this road went the flower and splendor of a whole nation? To die now is not heroic. The most heroic deed now is - to live."

It is taken from the book "The Star of Ashes" by Ka-Tzetnik an illustrated literary work documenting the destruction of the Polish Jews, during the Holocaust. The book is illustrated with 18 original lithographs by Israeli artist Gershon Knispel.
    The text is in Hebrew, Yiddish and English. Extent: 215 pages. Size. 22cm X 30cm
    Published by HA-MENORA - Publishing house Tel-Aviv 1967.
    Printed by "ORLY" Press Tel-Aviv. Lithographs by Naidet Press Ltd.

Apologies for poor photos, ipad and gloomy East Sussex winter light.
    Attached covers, quotation text page and associated lithograph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "The Star of Ashes" by Ka-Tzetnik   "The Star of Ashes" by Ka-Tzetnik  

"The Star of Ashes" by Ka-Tzetnik   "The Star of Ashes" by Ka-Tzetnik  

I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

That looks like a book that is well worth owning!...

It is worth noting that the author - whose real name was Yehiel De-Nur (born Yehiel Feiner) - was an Auschwitz survivor and that his pseudonym derives from the abbreviation for Konzentrationslager, i.e. KZ, pronounced "Ka-Tzet".

Yehiel De-Nur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-arts...160/ka-tzetnik

Hi Stefan , that looks like a fine book that holds a great deal of emotion and interest. Leon.