Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Theresienstadt

Article about: Some photographs of the Theresienstadt prison/camp grounds (Terezín). The Gestapo prison/camp, located at Theresienstadt , was known as the Kleine Festung (small fortress) or Maly Pevnost, i

?

Default Re: Theresienstadt

Indeed Chris, the site was used a great deal for propaganda purposes. A whole new washroom facility was installed, including rows of fine new sinks, to mislead the Red Cross visitors. Had they tried to turn any of the taps, they would have learned that there was no water connected. Even the currency was for a long time thought by many to be part of the cover up. It wasn't until survivors spoke out later that people began to realise that a currency had been issued, and was used in the ghetto.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Great choice for your honeymoon by the way, Prague is a beautiful city.

Quote by TIGER88 View Post
    Indeed Chris, the site was used a great deal for propaganda purposes. A whole new washroom facility was installed, including rows of fine new sinks, to mislead the Red Cross visitors. Had they tried to turn any of the taps, they would have learned that there was no water connected. Even the currency was for a long time thought by many to be part of the cover up. It wasn't until survivors spoke out later that people began to realise that a currency had been issued, and was used in the ghetto.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Great choice for your honeymoon by the way, Prague is a beautiful city.
    Thank you for updating my memory, I didn´t get it quite right, but I remember the man telling that story like was it yesterday.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Praha is one of the most stunning cities I have ever been to. We divorced 2 years later, but still, I love that city.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

?

The next image shows the interior of one of the former offices. Note the markings on the wall. This is an indicator of the water level, following the torrential floods that engulfed large swathes of the Czech Republic during August 2002. Sadly, much harm was done to the site, and to artifacts that were either lost or damaged during the flood.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Theresienstadt  

Anyone know who the person was that coined the now infamous slogan "Arbeit Macht Frei" and was it first used at Dachau?

upate:

I can answer my own post... Thanks Wiki

German philologist Lorenz Diefenbach
    Arbeit macht frei

The expression comes from the title of a novel by German philologist Lorenz Diefenbach, Arbeit macht frei: Erzählung von Lorenz Diefenbach (1873), in which gamblers and fraudsters find the path to virtue through labour.

The phrase was also used in French ("le travail rend libre!") by Auguste Forel, a Swiss ant scientist, neuroanatomist and psychiatrist, in his "Fourmis de la Suisse" ["Ants of Switzerland"] (1920).

In 1922, the Deutsche Schulverein of Vienna, an ethnic nationalist "protective" organization of Germans within the Austrian empire, printed membership stamps with the phrase Arbeit macht frei.

It was adopted in 1928 by the Weimar government as a slogan extolling the effects of their desired policy of large-scale public works programmes to end unemployment. This use of the phrase was continued by the Nazi Party when it came to power in 1933.

At Buchenwald, "Jedem das Seine" (literally, "to each his own", but idiomatically "everyone gets what he deserves") was used.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

like it was trying to wash this stain on humanity away.

?

Further images of the Theresienstadt site:

1. Entrance to Block-A.

2. Paketraum (parcels/post).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Theresienstadt   Theresienstadt  

?

Earlier in the thread, the Theresienstadt currency was briefly mentioned, and several images of one or two denominations were shown. Pictured below is a full set of all seven denominations, from the common Eine Krone through to the the rarer Fünfzig and Hundert Kronen.

An interesting background story to the Theresienstadt currency can be found here: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/histor...knotes-163669/
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Theresienstadt   Theresienstadt  

Theresienstadt  

?

Another image taken at Theresienstadt, this time showing a Wachturm (watchtower).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Theresienstadt  

?

Further images of the exterior.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast