Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

A Well Meant Gesture Or Thoughtless?...

Article about: Auschwitz "showers" offend some visitors to the former Nazi camp - CNN.com According to my friends in Krakow it's been a very hot summer in southern Poland, the powers that be deci

I'm sorry, but I cannot agree with the sentiments expressed in some of these postings defending the installation of these showers. Even now, 70 years after the end of the war, the very thought of showers and death camps conjure up images of the gas chambers. very insensitive in my view - no matter what the reason behind them. Visitors have managed in the past without them.

I think this is something that everyone will either care about, or they won't.

I would say, it's not a shower... it's a hose propped up on a few sticks. It's in a car park, where you can just walk under it to cool off and that's it. It's not an installation, in fact (controversy aside) it would be removed within a day or two, as the temperature is highly variable.

I have every respect for what the people went through. I have been to Auschwitz 6 times, and it never fails to make a powerful impact on me. I have been to other camps. But the last thing I would think of if I saw that is "omg, that's so wrong", it would probably be the last thing to enter my mind. You could say Auschwitz does not need a cafeteria on-site, but it has one.

How can anyone go to visit Auschwitz without being, quote, "reminded" of the Holocaust?? I sincerely hope that all prospective visitors there this summer see the articles regarding this misting unit in the press and choose not to visit if they are going to be shocked or easily offended. This is not the sort of place to visit if they fall into this category.

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Don't know that I'd want to get soaking wet by being spritzed down by a giant plant mister and then go walking and dripping all around a huge facility, but that's just me, of course. I think I'd rather carry a liter of water in a bottle with me instead. The connection between the mister and the gas chambers is abit of a stretch, though, I would say.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by big ned View Post
    How can anyone go to visit Auschwitz without being, quote, "reminded" of the Holocaust?? I sincerely hope that all prospective visitors there this summer see the articles regarding this misting unit in the press and choose not to visit if they are going to be shocked or easily offended. This is not the sort of place to visit if they fall into this category.

This.

Keeping the memory and preservation as real as possible as a reminder of back during those times..no such devices were used..and should not be allowed added to what was never there.

I would consider it damaging marring the history of a Period artifact and laying it next to a lawn sprinkler........ let alone exposing a Historical site such as one of these camps to something that was never meant to be there in the first place. Auschwitz is NOT "Disney World " ..and Auschwitz was never created to bring comfort to those who fell into the hands of evil.

Such places should be only remembered and maintained as such...AS IT WAS ...neither adding to.. or taking away from !

Let people Sweat, get sun burned, Freeze ..get bitten by bugs...have sore feet..or go hungry. This place is like no other place on this earth..and when visiting these places ..those who were interned there were affected by those conditions ..including beatings and death...but fortunate for the modern day visitors now..the do not have to endure the beatings or death...nor should they be catered to by making visitors comfortable ..with misting machines. A Full Sobering experience begins with the reality of what it was to the fullest extent.

This modern day mechanical application was done in very poor taste..with no regards to the memory of those who lived through or died through this KZ System.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

This Thread is being closely Monitored
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I do not understand why people are being offended by the coincidence of a modern day cooling unit being slightly similar to a shower/gas chamber. I am pretty sure they did not base the design on a gas chamber. You can see the actual gas chamber in the facility apparently something which looks similar is offensive. People should learn to separate the difference between something offensive and an inanimate object.

Quote by Harry Davey View Post
    I do not understand why people are being offended by the coincidence of a modern day cooling unit being slightly similar to a shower/gas chamber. I am pretty sure they did not base the design on a gas chamber. You can see the actual gas chamber in the facility apparently something which looks similar is offensive. People should learn to separate the difference between something offensive and an inanimate object.
    Hang a Nazi Flag on your property and tell people its only a stretch of colored fabric. Really.??....

you actually believe that the misters are inanimate due to the place Auschwitz represents? ......... Tell the members here ..those whose relatives were affected by the KZ system..those Globally who are reading your "Opinion" ...how it will go once you hang a flag on your property.

Quote by Larry C View Post
    This Thread is being closely Monitored
    That's good to hear Larry as your post #16 is possibly the most contentious and direct so far in this thread, and is open to interpretation by some who may wish to argue your trenchant personal opinions in a variety of potentially, shall we say "unfortunate" expressions that will for certain cause the thread to be locked. Let's all try to keep it on track.

Regards, Ned
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast