Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

A Well Meant Gesture Or Thoughtless?...

Article about: Auschwitz "showers" offend some visitors to the former Nazi camp - CNN.com According to my friends in Krakow it's been a very hot summer in southern Poland, the powers that be deci

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hang a Nazi Flag on your property and tell people its only a stretch of colored fabric. Really.??....

you actually believe that the misters are inanimate due to the place Auschwitz represents? ......... Tell the members here ..those whose relatives were affected by the KZ system..those Globally who are reading your "Opinion" ...how it will go once you hang a flag on your property.
    Unnecessarily combative. Let's keep it calm or close it, it's your call now you've become so involved on a personal level.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thread stays open. My thoughts expressed.

No more said..........but if the thread does lean though and goes past a sensitivity level beyond that of these "misters" ..the groundwork is laid. People are entitled to their opinions..including mine and my wording should be a warning only if the thread warps or leans into anti semite or denying areas...we have seen this happen hundreds of times with threads that start out innocent enough until someone throws a comment in not related. I do apologize for my tone...but not my wording or opinion....the main focus is to keep this thread intact without it leaning,. thats all.
    Thank You Ned for your redirect.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hang a Nazi Flag on your property and tell people its only a stretch of colored fabric. Really.??....

you actually believe that the misters are inanimate due to the place Auschwitz represents? ......... Tell the members here ..those whose relatives were affected by the KZ system..those Globally who are reading your "Opinion" ...how it will go once you hang a flag on your property.
    Do I really need to explain the difference between a mist sprayer and a Nazi flag? The mist sprayer does not represent a nationalist racist group. I think your emotions are clouding your logic. Of course the holocaust was one of the most horrific acts committed by human beings. The issue here is the offence created by an inanimate object due to misinterpretation. It is a question of context, in this context it was a hot day so they used a mist sprayer.

For the record anyone who claims the holocaust did not happen is unquestionably a racist, there is not other motive for that point of view. The evidence is overwhelming.

Intentions expressed in my post 22 Harry..there it will lie
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

To add to Harry's post, it is a mister hung in the carpark outside the facility (and if you've been there, the car park is not within view of the gates of Auschwitz), because of unusually hot temperatures in the past 2 weeks.

Also that the misters are outside Auschwitz, *not* Birkenau. In all honesty, I would judge it in poor taste if someone actually put them outside Birkenau, but not to the levels of outrage and insinuations being published in the press.

You may also consider that the people who live & work in Oświęcim to this day, perhaps they have a different view of things, being so close to the camps on a daily basis. I would imagine that the museum administration didn't see anything wrong with it when it was put there, and these are people who see this every day. To someone who's never been there, sure, it may strike them immediately as poor taste, but I also think that, as is the norm with the press, all it takes is one outraged person to make a storm in a teacup.

I am far more angered by people who take selfies in Auschwitz/Birkenau. I don't mean normal photos as memories of the place, as I do a lot of photography there myself, but actual selfies.

?

Sadly, as if often the case, a little more common sense would have prevented ANY such misinterpretation.

Personally, I am very familiar with the Auschwitz Memorial Museum (and countless other former KZ related sites), as many here will already know. The Auschwitz Museum has seen some rather radical changes of late, especially related to the entrance procedures at the former Stammlager (main camp, Auschwitz-I). This, albeit temporary arrangement, has not been one of their better ideas. It has been commonly known for many years that the SS used the idea of showers as part of their sick ruse during the mass extermination of millions during their reign - so any, however slight though it may seem, relation to such will patently provoke both anger and disgust. I feel this thread has now run its course and shall now be closes. Ned, I thank you for keeping everybody focused with regards to staying on track. Larry, your words may have been strong...but they came from the heart and not without good sentiment.

Carl

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3