Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Zyklon B can opener?

Article about: by bigmacglenn1966 My German grandmother used one of those for years... cheers, Glenn I would also say it's just a can opener. I doubt they used special ones for Cyklon B.

?

Default Re: Zyklon B can opener?

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    My German grandmother used one of those for years...
    cheers, Glenn
    I would also say it's just a can opener. I doubt they used special ones for Cyklon B.

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    My German grandmother used one of those for years.
    Literally what I was going to post.

ryan..it's scary ..all my life i used this opener

?

It's a can opener.

There is no direct link between the example in post #1 and any KZ or any evidence this can opener was used to open cans of Zyklon B.

I have no idea where the over reaction about it being 'scary' is coming from. Try not to make it into something it isn't please.

Unless anyone can prove this can opener is something special or different please discuss it for what it is - an old German can opener.

Don't speculate or start with the "What if" or "Maybe" type comments. As mentioned, the thread is being constantly monitored and any deviation away from the subject - in this case a can opener - will be dealt with quickly and harshly, especially anyone who wishes to ignore the warning here and continue to speculate on what it isn't.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Quote by Markoni Serbia View Post
    tnx for the answer
    Looks like something for removing hemorrhoids.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Looks like something for removing hemorrhoids.
    A 'roid guillotine. Delightful Steve

?

Patently, the product was not designed for the extermination of human beings, but was a rodenticide and pesticide, used for years before its eventual connection to the mass murder facilities operated during the Third Reich era. The toxic agent in Zyklon-B was HCN (Hydrogen cyanide), which is also known by the names prussic acid, hydrocyanic acid and Blausäure, depending on the concentration of the compound. HCN kills by preventing the cytochromes (enzymes required at cellular level for respiration) from functioning correctly. Zyklon-B was developed including separate irritants, designed to warn that the HCN was about to become functional, and also to linger after use as a warning that HCN had just been used in the area. Several kilos would be poured into the stacks that fed the grillework columns within the gas chambers, killing up to 2,000 people in a single operation. Initially, gas masks were worn by those pouring the substance into the openings.

Regarding the opening of the actual cans, the images below show several examples on display at various concentration camp museums. Note the varying holes: evidence that not one uniform method of opening the cans was in use throughout the KL system. I have detailed information regarding how the cans were opened at Auschwitz-II, Birkenau. Unfortunately, the notes are within the family library, some 1,500km away at the present time. Hopefully somebody will be able to add to the thread in a useful manner with regards to the actual methods employed at the time. However, this piece appears to have no connection whatsoever to a Konzentrationslager, in my opinion, it is merely an old German can opener.

Regards,

Carl

Hello Gentlemen
    Thread moved...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

It's a period can opener from the company that among countless other things also produced the delousing agent Zyklon B. Nothing ominous or scary about it at all. Simply an interesting cross collectable. If you'd like to get rid of it, I'd be more than happy to accept it....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Just an old can opener i reckon!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast