Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Daggers etc. in my books

Article about: In many of my books I included many photographs with the wearing of daggers, and occasionally swords. One of such books is for example: "Aiguillettes of the Third Reich". This book

Earlier mentioned “Aiguillettes of the Third Reich” would be included in this thread. Of course!
    A random, quite large choice, is being made. Remind the book is loaded with many photographs, where the best uniforms were
    worn (interesting for the uniform-lovers, but not only for them as also headgear-lovers will find lots of their interest)). The book
    was dedicated to the wearing of aiguillettes: the Achselband (or Fangschnur, further as AB), the aiguillette largely to be worn
    with the Parade Dress and Formal Dress (Grosser Gesellschaftsanzug), but also the adjutants aiguillette, the Adjutantenschnur
    (further simply as AS).

With many shown photographs the original caption from the book is included, so one can take note what the information given is. With
    some occasions the photo is shown twice, while in the book the photo was cropped. So now and then a close-up from the dagger or sword
    is included. Sometimes it was not possible to make a proper close-up. Remind that many photographs were reproduced between 2001 and
    2006 and possibilities were not that great then when material was scanned. In those days reproducing by camera was still the best (and in
    fact still is in my opinion).

A few photographs are included which did not make it: either while no AB or AS was worn or for other reasons. Due to the many photographs
    I will divide the number of photographs over more than one post. This can take a day or two. For the time being this is it! I think I have shown
    relevant material on behalf of daggers and/or swords. Of course there was more in the books, but I cannot simply show all of it (my publishers
    would not be happy!!). When having available new material, but only then when it is not under an embargo for the series:
    Headgear of Hitler’s Germany”, I will possibly decide to post it for the greater interest of forum-members! ENJOY!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Daggers etc. in my books
    P
    Many

Amazing posts, I feel like I should be paying extra just to read them! Did you cover red cross daggers in wear, I know they are hard to come by, I saw about 4 or 5 total.

Hello maximus71: have a few in my books, but not all are that interesting, while the photos
    were taken from a distance or they were from a magazine, somewhat blurry or I have no
    allowance to show them here!
    Two are in the aiguillettes-book and four in my gorget-book. Here is one from the Otto
    Spronk-photocollection:

Daggers etc. in my books

Here for today a start from material from "Aiguillettes of the Third Reich":

two pages from the start of the book with some explanation about the Affenschaukel
    and some quite nice photographs with "frills, flounces and furbelows".

Daggers etc. in my books

A photo which I could not include as no aiguillette (AB) was worn. Nice to show here due
    to the "towrope" (Unterschnallkoppel mit Trageriemen).

Daggers etc. in my books Daggers etc. in my books

Normally an AB was not worn with the great-coat. Only adjudants did wear an AS when
    wearing the greatcoat. Many great-coats and swords are worn with this photo:

Here two covers from the magazine "Die deutsche Uniform", the first one I did not
    choose, but the second one with naval personnel, was.

The next one I did not check, if it was included in the book, but the photo is from my book
    "Deutsche Lufthansa, 1926-1945". Hitler welcomes pilots and personnel from the
    "Deutsche Lufthansa" after their return tp Germany, dressed in the German airforce
    uniform, the Lufthansa-uniform and the dress, as worn by the "Legion Condor". The
    person who AH is shaking hands with is Oberleutnant Alfred Henke, who was a
    well-known DLH Flugkapitän.

Daggers etc. in my books
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 11-27-2014 at 04:07 PM.

Continuation 1 from the aiguillettes-book. First Luftwaffe and Heer:

Daggers etc. in my books

Note the difference in height for hanging the sword with the earlier photograph
    (credit: Richard Kindel)

Below: October 1937: state-secretary Milch at "Le Bourget" in Paris, weclomed by the German ambassador Welczek
    (Saris-archive).

Below: credit, Thomas Johnson; O.Spronk photo-collection. Also last photograph from this post)

Daggers etc. in my books
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 11-27-2014 at 04:08 PM.

continuation 2: SS

Daggers etc. in my books

SS-Gruppenführer Kaul and his staff, observing shooting.
    (credit: Peter Klubert)

(credit: the last two Dirk Stefanski)

(credit: both Jost W.Schneider)

continuation 3: Deutsche Polizei, Bahnschutz and forestry

Daggers etc. in my books

Earlier somewhere else another part of the photo was shown.
    (credit: Richard Hessels)

As far as I can remember the coming photo did not make it for the book
    (credit: Ernst Hupkes)

Daggers etc. in my books

Bahnschutz:

Daggers etc. in my books

Forestry:

Daggers etc. in my books

(credit: M.Dieter Vetters)

?

Wilhelm thanks for these lovely pics.
    The first HJ picture with what you call a bayonet, is in fact the earliest type of HJ knife, with the long hilt an pointy scabbard.
    It was something between a ww1 trenchknives and a Fighting bayonet.
    This is a great picture thats been used on various forums to illustrate the early bayo/fighting knife HJ pre anchestor.
    The hilt of these long early knives can be found engraved, with swastika's, flags etc.
    Great pics!
    Thx
    Ger

continuation 4: SA, Marine-SA and Technische Nothilfe

Daggers etc. in my books

(credit: Laurens Hessels)

Next Marine-SA, the actual page from the book, as well as the photo not cropped.

and another page from the book from the National Archives:

Daggers etc. in my books

The photo as used at the cover reverse, a great photo which was especially bought
    for the aiguillette-book:

Daggers etc. in my books
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 11-27-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Gerrit, I doubt while the lad is in fact not even Hitler-Jugend, but from another youth organization, which I could not identify yet!
    I know such bayonets were worn also within the HJ. The photo is anyway earlier than the fall of 1933, as when it was a such the guy
    would have worn a HJ district-triangle and HJ-armband.

Why he is NOT from the HJ: this organization did not wear two cockades simultaneously and it is obvious the photograph shows a darker
    cap band. Early HJ had a top and cap band from the same material. I do rate this guy to be Scharnhorst, but I am no for 100% sure!
    The "insignia" upon the grip could be for this organization!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast