Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

How do daggers attach to a waffenrock?

Article about: Apologies for asking a basic question, but I'm unsure of how to attach the dagger to a waffnrock. I can see the internal belt inside the tunic, but cant figure out how this attaches to the h

Default How do daggers attach to a waffenrock?

Apologies for asking a basic question, but I'm unsure of how to attach the dagger to a waffnrock. I can see the internal belt inside the tunic, but cant figure out how this attaches to the hanger of the dagger. Any illustrations or instruction welcome.
    Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How do daggers attach to a waffenrock?
    P
    Many

Hi Eric..great question and lets narrow down your search first.

There are many varied uniform types and organizations to choose from each with their own hanging device. You are off to a great start perusing through this sub forum of Period photos.

1. Which Dagger type are you looking for information on?
    2. most uniforms have an already built in "D" ring and strap that allows a dagger or sword to hang from beneath.

Other comments and input welcome..OTW to work now.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Larry,
    Thanks for your superfast reply. I'm looking at attaching a Heer officers dagger with a standard hanger to my Waffenrock.
    The waffenrock has an internal two part belt with a clip attachment which I have been told is for attaching a dagger. I think I must be missing a bit to connect it and the dagger hanger together. Any ideas?

Hi Eric..can you post photos of the hanging rig..and the pocket connection ..it may be something very easy to find.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I think you will find that the Heer Officers dagger was by regulation not worn with the Waffenrock.

The belt is just to make the tunic fit well and fastens across the front of the body.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

For the waffenrock the dagger would usually be worn hanging underneath the tunic so there would not be a slit but might have a hanger hook (sometimes) or the Mini Pocket Knife could be worn suspended from the pants belt or a shoulder sling. Most other kinds of pocketed tunics for officers sideways from a combat field tunic will have the slits.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I think you will find that the Heer Officers dagger was by regulation not worn with the Waffenrock.
    Beg to differ, Ade. Officers had the option of wearing the dagger instead of the sword, but not with the Feldanzug [field uniform], Wachanzug [guard uniform], Paradeanzug [parade uniform] and the großer Gesellschaftsanzug [formal mess dress].

Thus, if the Waffenrock was worn as part of the Meldeanzug [reporting uniform], Ausgehanzug [walking-out uniform], kleiner Gesellschaftsanzug [informal mess dress] or kleiner Dienstanzug [informal service dress], either the dagger or the sword could be worn.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The belt is just to make the tunic fit well and fastens across the front of the body.
    Exactly; it has nothing to do with the dagger.

Tailor-made Waffenröcke often had a long, vertical cloth strap of lining material going down from the left armhole and fitted with a carabiner hook attachment to which the dagger hanger was clipped. If your Waffenrock does not have this feature, you cannot attach a dagger directly to it.
    Instead, its wearer had to use a special waistbelt [Leibriemen] or shoulder sling [Schultergurt] worn underneath the tunic. (The latter was more comfortable to wear than the former and thus more popular.)

Think the OP is looking at the inner belt as Ade said. The "Rock" tunics were worn very "form fitting" & tight, the inner belt was as said, to improve the tailored look

Sad not to see the OP a year later has not ever replied back.